1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent English activities for lower ability Y2s?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Jan 16, 2012.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for simple activities-particularly phonics ones- that my LA year 2 children (mainly EAL) can do during Englis/literacy lessons? They have been doing lots of nice activities with the LSA (or me) during split phonics-eg buried treasure/L+S games-Georgie's gym etc, using a feely bag with lots of CVC object, sound buttons, phoneme frames, but I struggle a bit when it comes to giving them independent activities that aren't too (God/SMT forbid) worksheety!

They are all working somewhere within phase 2 of L+S and so far, in independent sessions, been
    -using the objects from the feely bag to sound out
    -cutting out words from newpapers-containing the focus sound
    -yellow writing
    -phoneme dice to make CVC words
    -magnetic letters to make CVC words (though have 8/9 in this group and not many magnetic letters)
    -phonics activities on the computer (but again-there are rather a lot of children in this group)
    -writing for a purpose-ie lists in the role play area
    -writing about given pictures using initial sounds

Has anyone got any more ideas I can try!?

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Surely they should b following the same lo but just differentiated down for their level. My la year 2's do just that. So maybe they get more support, or a word bank, or easier materiiL, or someone scribes for them, but they do the same work and work to the same objective!

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Get some small cardboard boxes with lids (have a look on Baker Ross)http://www.bakerross.co.uk/find.asp?src=ADWORDS&name=boxes&cid=IYNB88MMCS8U6GG50BCVM6N1FH7RU1PL
    Inside each box put 3 letters to spell a cvc word. Children open the box, make the word and then either draw what it spells or make it out of playdough.
    Could they use the computers/laptops for a session?
    Give them a board with all the sounds they know on. Ask them to write down as many words as they can using those sounds.
    Make rhyming books - little flip flap books - rhyming string on 1st page ie _ot, they write a rhyming word on each page and illustrate.