1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

independent/dependent learners OR hard-workers/lazy students??

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by nuts88, May 2, 2012.

1. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

What's the difference?

2. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

What's the difference?

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Quite a high proportion of my students will work hard if they know what to do and are confident in their ability to do it. If they don't understand what to do then they do nothing without support. If they are not confident they do nothing without checking they are doing it right first.
    I wouldn't describe them as lazy but they will fairly regularly not do enough work.

4. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

is it something to do with an inherent curiosity about Stuff (cap deliberate!) versus a lack of interest about Stuff? The difference - perhaps partly from home life - between 'I don't know - what can I find out and which resources can I use' and 'I don't know and I don't care.' Lazy, or learned behaviour, or just this subject not getting them excited?

certainly with me, if someone talks about a place in the world, I am reaching for the atlas to work out where it is and find out more about it, but if someone talks about inorganic chemistry, something in my brain goes 'yadda yadda yadda' and I switch off.

5. The drive to succeed involves acquiring skills that one does not wish to develop. Current teaching practice has manhandled and rubbished what works and is needed to this unbelievable **** that we loosely term primary and secondary education. Children and adults are now driven by gratification rather than gratitude.