1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent Cooking in Reception!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pete72, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Last year I only had Reception children, this year I have a mixed Yr1/R Class. I know what the soon to be Year 1s love and it involves cooking & food..... so...I was thinking of trying to get them to do some independent cooking. I was thinking of re-writing recipes in order to make the 'readable'( 1cup, half a cup etc etc), doing some basic 'this is how we do this in our kitchen area' type sessions and also put the chn into groups of 3 or 4 'cooking buddies. Each group then makes their own cakes, flapjack or whatever it is. Has anyone ever done this? Doesn't do it anymore because it was a nightmare and the washing up took them about 5 hours? Am I mad in the heed letting them do it on their own ( apart from the oven bit)?
    Any advice, nuggets of knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Cheers . Pete

2. Sounds great. Maybe have someone keeping a bit of an eye, to tidy up round the edges a bit and prevent major disasters. Maybe do it with groups first and then let them have a go independently. Don't expect the results to be edible, but you might be pleasantly surprised. Meanwhile all that mixing, measuring etc. will provide excellent opportunities to learn and develop.

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I haven't done it yet, but am planning to start this term (help!!) We are going to be doing it with all Foundation Stage about 50 children this term. We aim to discuss together what we will make, get children to think of equipment and ingredients and then write a recipe together, (prompting the children for the right things) up on the whiteboard with pictures to make it clearer e.g 1 cup with picture of a cup etc.The children will be put in groups of maybe 6 and will each have a designated leader which will be a reception child. They will gather all the stuff they need which hopefully T.A.s will have laid out ready.Hopefully they will then work independently following the recipe while staff float to support and place in oven if necessary.
    I think we shall start with something easy like sandwiches or fruit kebabs! I will let you know if we have given up by half term.
    Good luck to you. I think it will be dependent on group of children and enough staff at hand but I am sure it is worth a go.

4. porker

porker New commenter

5. I think this idea sounds brilliant. I work in a reception unit and the children are encouraged to make there own snack. I really like the idea of extending this further by adding the simple recipe cards. I agree obvious supervision needed to introduce the concept but as the children become more experience I believe this would work successfully. Good luck x

6. Thank you all for your replies! The link was really useful too!.......But is there anyone out there who has actually done it this way ( sort of) ???...........I am still umming and arring over whether to do it or not......Selfishly it is alot of work on my behalf, setting it up...but still not 100% sure. Thanks again everyone!

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

we have 'baking'sessions each week where the TA takes each group and they make a variety of edible things which they take home eg,buns,fruit salad,pizza faces,cucumber caterpillars etc.The children love working with food and we make sure they work wash their hands and don't lick,sneeze etc over the food.My concern would be if the children were totally independent how would you be aware of the licking and tasting and germ spreading?
    I do not mean to be negative it is a lovely idea.We have an open snack time on friday morning for an hour where my TA sits at the table withthe toaster and the children choose when to come,they wash their hands and then butter their own toast,bagel,pikelet etc and spread their own honey,marmite,jam (whatever we are trying out)
    The children too are independent in making their own playdough and we have laminated cards with cup measurements for them to have a go independently.

8. Fulloffun I love the idea of the children making their own playdoh! The recipe I use needs hot water, please could you post your playdoh recipe as I know the children would love to make it independently.
    Many thanks Gretna

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter