1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independent Catholic Prep

Discussion in 'Independent' started by EvilAsh, Oct 13, 2015.

1. EvilAsh

EvilAsh Occasional commenter

Anyone have any experience of these to share?
    Anyone notice any pay trend (from looking at the forums I'm imagining the pay won't be great since they're small).
    The one I'm looking at doesn't have much on its website at all nor much on the wider internet!
    Thanks in advance...

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My current school (independent) is very small but our salaries are somewhat better than the maintained sector. If shortlisted and invited to interview, ASK!

best wishes

EvilAsh likes this.
  3. EvilAsh

Will do, the commute would be much further is my reason for asking. I don't mind staying around what I get, but I'll be using the train. As long as that's covered I'm okay.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, if going to interview at a school that is coy about salaries, just get in touch with the Bursar beforehand and ask.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that you should even ask before applying. Ditto for conditions of service.

Now I guess that some people might feel coy themselves about contacting a school to ask about salary or conditions; they might feel that it could be held against them when they applied. :)

But if you happened to have another e-mail address, one that is not associated with your professional e-mail or your name (you don't think I am really called Theo, do you?), or even a partner with a different name, then that could be used to ask those delicate questions.

;)

@EvilAsh - have you read all the application advice articles? tag me if not.

Best wishes

EvilAsh likes this.
  5. EvilAsh

Thanks again to you both, I've smoked the articles, but hadn't read them in detail as my previous school of interest was a GDST school and they publish Pay scales!
    Emailing with a different email is an excellent idea, and one I wouldn't have thought of!
    My other half will be emailing them tomorrow then!
    Thanks!:)

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

How did it go?

8. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Pay is very much dependent on the school itself. I negotiated my pay upon appointment and in the Independent sector (especially boarding schools) that negotiation is expected due to additional workload/hours you do, or if you relocate etc. The pay scales are rarely published externally but they are published in-house and as a result you should as Theo suggests, ask about them beforehand so you can negotiate if needed.

9. EvilAsh

Hi Bob79, they withdrew the vacancy after restructuring. They asked for my CV, so may have a vacancy for next September. Thanks for asking!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How frustrating for you @EvilAsh !

Fingers crossed for next time.

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:(

Good luck, though!