1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independence!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsshorty, Nov 27, 2011.

1. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for advice on independence. One of our school targets, and personally for me with my children is to develop the independence of children as they are too reliant on adults.
    I was wondering if anyone could offer advice and tips of good practice in this area and how independence is established in their schools.
    Thank you!

2. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

I would really appreciate as any advice, tips ... :)

3. Have you looked at Paul Ginnis' teaching techniques? They are very co-operative and focus heavily on children taking responsibility for their own learning. Google him.
    My school (and I) are big fans, and I use a lot of his techniques in my teaching. I think they do force the children to become more independent.

4. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply! Really useful! :)

5. My class are awful at this, so I've set up a unit of drawers for them to use. I have a 'finished work' tray, a 'maths challenges' tray, 'maths help', 'writing tray', and 'writing help'. If children finish their work, they put it in the finished work tray and depending on if its a literacy or maths activity, they work on something from the maths/writing tray. If they get stuck, they use the resources in the trays to help them. We also do a lot of peer marking (tickle pink/green for growth), which at first is always a disaster, but with time and practice enables them to understand what it is you are looking for, and what to look for a check in their own work.

6. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

In Reception I train the children to do up each others coats, aprons, dressing up clothes etc , so they get used to the idea of asking a friend, before bothering the teacher. This follows through into KS2, with the children finding solutions for themselves.