1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Independant School Notice Period

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cj2300, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cj2300

cj2300 New commenter

Hello all,
    I have a question about notice period and summer hols pay. I currently work 2 days per week at a small independant ebd school. It is my intention to leave at the end of the summer term as I have secured another job. When asking my line manager about when I should hand in my notice he told me I would not be paid for the summer holidays.
    Obviously I realise that independant schools play by their own rules, which is a huge part of the reason I want to leave, but surely if I am contracted for 102 days per year and have worked all of those (no sick time etc) I am entitled to a full years pay?
    Any thought or advice would be great, thanks!

2. cj2300

cj2300 New commenter

Hello all,
    I have a question about notice period and summer hols pay. I currently work 2 days per week at a small independant ebd school. It is my intention to leave at the end of the summer term as I have secured another job. When asking my line manager about when I should hand in my notice he told me I would not be paid for the summer holidays.
    Obviously I realise that independant schools play by their own rules, which is a huge part of the reason I want to leave, but surely if I am contracted for 102 days per year and have worked all of those (no sick time etc) I am entitled to a full years pay?
    Any thought or advice would be great, thanks!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Read your contract but there should be nothing stopping you giving your notice to end on the last day of the Summer holidays.
    Provided your letter of resignation states the last day of the Summer holidays, I am not quite sure what they can do about it...

4. I was in this position too - put in your resignation letter 'as of 31st of august.' You're right - you have earned the summer pay and they should pay it. (I was paid at the end of august - phew).