1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

independant curriculum

Discussion in 'Independent' started by 1 45, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Has anyone signed up to this or been to the training days? We are thinking of looking into it but it is quite a lot of money to sign up to if we end up not using it.

Thanks

2. Has anyone signed up to this or been to the training days? We are thinking of looking into it but it is quite a lot of money to sign up to if we end up not using it.

Thanks

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

At our school we think it's just a marketing ploy to make people buy more galore park products! The glossy leaflets that have been sent out would make you assume that as an indepent school you should (must) be following this 'new' curriculum. However we feel that what we currently do educates the pupils well towards their end point with us, which is CE at 13+, so why re-write everything if the CE isn't going to be any different??!!!

4. I agree that there is a galore park influence at the very least. I think we are worried that we are not doing the best for our pupils as we ahve been too influenced by NC and PF. We end at 11+ for which there is nothing concrete to follow.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'd be very cautious. Most well-established preps know what the secondary schools they feed into require. Looking at my own subject in the IC catalogue, I would not (as a music teacher in three HMC schools, and director of music in the third of these) be at least impressed by activities such as playing musical statues, or trying to describe what 1000-year-old music might have sounded like (the latter defeats even the best musical scholars in the world).
    What I would be interested in is whether a prospective entrant enjoys performing music of their own volition, and whether they can sing in tune and can play an instrument musically (even if of a fairly modest standard).
    If the other subjects are as poorly focused as music, I'd give it a wide berth.

6. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Are there any more thoughts or opinions about the Independent Curriculum? All the replies to date confirm the view that I hold, but I'm prepared to be open-minded.

PS I am amazed by the number of times people have used the spelling IndependANT in this forum: I would only ever spell it IndependENT. Is .....ANT now accepted? Surely not?

I note that Google has about 12,000,000 references to "Independent School", but only 8,900 to "Independant School".
    I think 'independANT' is wrong. Should this issue be a topic on its own?