1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Indendent School (Music) - NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Coalvillecover, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Coalvillecover

Coalvillecover New commenter

First time of submitting a post and asking for a friend, so hopefully I'm doing this right.
    A friend is currently finishing her PGCE year in secondary music and is looking for jobs where she will be able to complete her NQT year. She is contemplating applying for a post at an independent school?
    So my question is 'is doing a NQT in an independent setting a good idea?'
    Many thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Induction is not statutory in the independent sector- so the school has a choice about whether to offer it. To do so they have to link with either the independent school council or a local appropriate body- LA or Teaching school. Many independents do run statutory induction programmes and in my experience these have been of a good quality

3. robmusicman

robmusicman New commenter

I'm currently doing my NQT year in an independent school teaching music, and the provision and support is excellent. I believe many independent school register the induction process through ISTIP, and it has been very thorough without being overwhelming. Let me know if you want anymore info!