1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increasing uptake at KS4

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by wightmouse, Nov 19, 2015.

1. wightmouse

wightmouse New commenter

Hi,
    I have just started a course for middle leaders and as part of this I need to do a 'change' project which has a measurable impact over 2 terms. I would like to do something aimed at increasing uptake at GCSE into languages. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything that has increased uptake? What do you think would make the most difference? I think students' perception of the difficulty level may play a part, so am considering looking at giving different feedback which is less immediately comparable across subjects (eg I am 7a in geography but only 5a in French so I'm clearly much worse at French...) What do you think?
    I would appreciate any nuggets of wisdom!
    Thanks

2. ellieinfrance

ellieinfrance New commenter

Advice having done a middle leader course - look at when your kids have to make their options choices. Is there enough time for you to have a measurable impact in the next two terms, or will they make their choices before this? I'd maybe focus on something smaller that you do more regularly - some of my colleagues looked at things such as increasing homework completion, or increasing number of children who do their corrections.

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Make sure that pupils understand that they are making amazing progress. Look at how far they travel in the first year alone. Tell them that this kind of progress continues every year and that they will very soon outstrip their 'levels' ( if you're still using them) in every other subject. Give your option groups a Y7 assessment just before they make their choices to demonstrate just how much they have learned in such a short time. They will remember thinking that the exam was hard in Y7, but will now find it really easy. Also tell them the timing of the new GCSE exams compared to the length of exams in other subjects.

4. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

As the government has a stated aim of getting 90% of students entered for the EBacc. Wouldn't a more useful exercise be to see how departments are going to cope with a sudden influx of (reluctant) students into KS4

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. mairi4

mairi4 New commenter

Praise postcards home. Links to careers. Russell Group universities valuing languages. A display. I have done the above and also emailed the local Chamber of Commerce with a plea for someone to come in and do a presentation to year 9. I was contacted by an independent careers advisor who now works part time at the school as i passed on her details.
    I also got year 10 pupils to make a video about what GCSE languages is like and this was edited by one of them and is an excellent resource. Pupils respond well to it as it is in pupil speak.
    We still use levels and the targets are based on ks2. We explain to parents anout how the targets are set and that it may look like they are performing better in other subjects but that actually they have made more progress in many cases. Hope some of this helps.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You would have to hop that other departments in your school do not have the same objective of improving take up of their subject at KS4 as that would mean that someone is guaranteed not to show 'improvement'.