1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increasing target language in classroom late in the game

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by redheadrover, Apr 5, 2019.

1. redheadrover

redheadrover New commenter

Question here for modern language teachers. I am an NQT German and French teacher. I have now more or less passed probation year and am.lucky to have secured a job at the same school for next year.

However, I have had such a shock and hard time managing behaviour this year, and still am, to the extent that I probably run 90% or more of my lessons in the L1, English, and feel like a complete failure. I have no theoretical issues with teaching almost everything in the L2, and having that as the classroom language. I am convinced it is the best and and most engaging way to teach languages, amd is how I dream of teaching languages in my classroom. But I have just found it so hard to do on top of behaviour so far, and I am happy if I have kept my pupils no sceaming for a lesson.

Now I fear it is too late to start using L2 as the kids aren’t used to it, and even if I make a fresh start next year it will still be a shock to any pupils I have already taught.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, and can anyone offer tips on how to begin to begin to introduce more target language to lessons?

I have bought a book to read to help me with this, but am feeling a little daunted and depressed as I start to read it!

Thanks all!

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's a great question. Target Language has been chewed over time and time again. One year it's in, it's necessary. The next year it's out. It's ineffective.
    Honestly?
    I tend towards the second. There's nothing in the exam spec that gives them points toward the final grade because they can say "may I please go to the toilet" in French. Or "Can I have a new exercise book?" in German.

You need to repost your question here
    https://community.tes.com/forums/modern-foreign-languages.28/

because it is a dedicated space for MFL teacher queries.
    I only stumbled on yours in this place, where I think traffic can be a bit slow...

3. redheadrover

redheadrover New commenter

That is helpful to hear. I suppose at the end of the day mucb of what we do does need to bear exams in mind!

That is a good tip, I didn't know there were dedicated subject forums; have posted there too, thank you! :)