1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increasing retirement age and health

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by jacob, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

We all have heard the oft repeated mantra that "people are living longer". This is mainly attributable to better health, because of improvements in medicine. I guess (but would not know if such statistics exist) that the causes of death for over 70s 20 to 30 years ago were heart, stroke, or cancer related. Now that interventions are much better we (tend to) live longer. Hence the Government wants us to work longer pay into our pensions ansd par tax for longer, then cost them less as pensioners, and they hope we all die early.
    But this does not take into account other deteriorations due to ageing in the human body. I am already having joint problems which will only get worse. My eyes are going too. In a few years, once the default retirement is at 66 for everyone, do they expect us all to be running round like spring chickens in our 60s? I expect to be creaking round like an old door.
    In short, I don't think our lovely coalition has thought this through. Will headteachers be sympathetic to teachers having to attend arthritis clinics and the like? It could be worse for the armed services, police, and firemen. A 60 year old copper chasing down teenager perps? Have they done any planning about the increased demands all this will put on the NHS? Or don't they care because they are destroying the NHS as well?

2. I want to be retired for at least 40 years!
    I'm physically in good shape but it's my mental health that concerns me. Since going part time a few years ago it has really struck me that many teachers are seriously unstable. Going part time has enabled me to step back and get a bit of perspective. Full retirement promises, hopefully, more of the same.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You seem to have missed my point: so I'll state it in simple terms. Older people wear out. If you make them suffer the stresses of carrying on working for longer, they will get old age type ailments (even if fit and healthy at 60), and suffer workplace stress for longer, and stress related illness. Thus the burden on the NHS will increase, which in strict money terms (which is all the Tories understand), there may not end up being the savings they are projecting simply by extending working life.
    "They" do not WANT you to live longer, they want you to die the day after you get your first pension instalment, that is their cheapest option.

4. Yes jacob is right I have to have time off school for the BP checks and clinics and regular courses of physio for my neck and shoulder probs caused by years of board writing and rsi from using pc- school will be glad to see me go in summer at 59! I am determined not to peg out too soon however! Even colleagues in their mid 40s do not appreciate the pain and discomfort some of us oldies are in.

5. I am nearly 59 and currently working full-time as a main scale teacher. I am single without a mortgage. I have about 26 years pensionable service. About a year ago, I developed a chronic medical condition called plantar psoriasis. It is apparently stress-related. Prior to that, I was remarkably fit and healthy. I am under a consultant and taking some very strong hospital drugs, which help a little (not however as much as promised). It is affecting me badly as I have little skin on my feet, which are often cut and sore. It is making me quite miserable generally and has affected not only my working life, but the quality of my life in general. I never take time off and the strain is beginning to affect me. I have been wondering about what to do. My school have given me the option of working fewer days. I have thought of working four days a week and deferring taking my pension (giving one extra day in the week where I don't need to get up and perform) or working three days a week (much better for my mental health!) and taking my pension early. I thought of investing my lump sum in a buy to let property. I am struggling with this decision at the moment and need to give an answer by the beginning of the summer term (for the sake of those doing the timetable). I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. I don't have a partner to chew it over with.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Sorry to hear about your problems. I can't give you specific advice, but I will say that I retired last year (at 56), with slightly more years service (but two of us to support). I wasn't unwell at the time, but I feel far less stressed and healthier now! Not one second have I regretted it!

'Buy to let' isn't for me, but I've known others do it, and it seems like a good idea, provided one chooses the property carefully, knowing the local rental market for example.

Hope that helps!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I am an early years teacher, I'm intending to retire with my teachers' pension next year when I'm 60. I hope to make that up with odd days of supply until I get my State Pension at 66. There is no way I want to be crawling around on the floor with 4 year olds, heaving equipment outdoors, sitting on tiny chairs and all the rest of it as my knees and hips gradually continue to decay. I'm in quite good shape for my age but totally agree with Jacob.

8. I think I have reached a decision. I will take the pension and work three days a week. It will be easier and better for my health. Thanks for you support.

9. Morninglover

[​IMG]

Sounds like a good plan - I hope it works out brilliantly for you!

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Your health comes first, ungoed. Have you checked with TPS so that you know how much you'll get as a lump sum?

I retired early at 55 and do supply to top it up, which you might fancy. I really hope your condition disappears when you finish. I bet it will.

Jacob is right. What bothers me is what will happen to the present crop of young teachers who have to quit the job in their 50s due to ill health or who are pushed out, as they are now, in favour of all the bright young things or who are just too burnt out to carry on.

I can picture the scenario where some will have to wait around 8 years or so before they can access their pension and will probably have no job and no income.

Having said that, I suppose they'll be able to take ARB at 60 - not much consolation.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Moving aside from individual cases, the broad picture is this:

1. People are living longer - much longer - an dthe increase in lifespan is greater than anyone thought it would be, and therefore has not been planed for.

2. People are fit and healthy for longer. In the past people of retirement age needed to retire; now many have active lives and even second careers after official retirement.

3. Someone has to pay for pensions; this can be people currently in work, or the prospective pensioner, or the employer, or a mixture.

4. The consequence of (1) is that more money is needed as employers' and workers' contributions for pensions, or the retirement age needs to rise, or both.

5. The consequence of (2) is that the retirement age can quite reasonably rise. If not, then pension contributions must rise instead.

You can't have it both ways!

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@skeoch

You also need to factor in the young people who can't get a job because they are 'blocked' by older people, presumably they will be on benefit waiting for someone to die while still working.

13. Morninglover

I've always thought this a point often overlooked- and how some of the most able will either get a job outside teaching or even move abroad. In the long run society needs jobs for young people too.

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In the year to January 2014, the number of people working increased in the UK by 459,000. The number unemployed fell be 191,000. [ONS data]. Today the news is that there are more teachers and support staff working in schools than ever before. Perhaps we're getting there?

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Perhaps this will be readable!

In the year to January 2014, the number of people working increased in the UK by 459,000. The number unemployed fell be 191,000. [ONS data]. Today the news is that there are more teachers and support staff working in schools than ever before. Perhaps we're getting there?

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not everywhere. Each week brings news of increasing news of reducing TAs and teaching staff in schools!

17. I have been to hell and back making this decision. I am also in the process of selling and buying somewhere new to live. My feet are dreadful. Very painful. I am quite sure it is the stress of all this thinking and the fear about the future. I suppose the fact that the state pension age has risen (for me 66) contributes to my general anxiety about money. I am investing more or less all of my money in a property because that seems the only way of ensuring I don't spend it and thereafter I can downsize if funds run out. I can't understand why the goal posts have changed on the state pension front. I find it all very frustrating generally. Presumably there will be more and more teachers in their late sixties doddering around in secondary schools. Having paid into the system for over thirty years, I find myself quite resentful. Anyway, that is neither here nor there really.

With pain killers and the right sort of mental attitude, I hope to overcome the difficulties I am experiencing. Working 3 days rather than 5 will certainly help. I am quite a hardy soul thank god. Anyway, hoping for the best. 'Il faut cultiver notre jardin,' according to Candide and so I go forth into unchartered territory.

I am not sure sometimes what the point of living longer is since governments seem to want to almost punish it for it, or so it would seem to me. I think single parents (generally women) lose out the most in this scenario.

18. Just tried to respond to you Dunteachin, but the screen disappeared. I think what I was trying to say was that I entirely agree. The problem is that teachers do burn out or are struck down by some disease like the one I contracted a year or so ago. I believed I was invincible (having worked every day through best cancer treatment) and coped with my son breaking his neck 4 years ago (he is better now), but I am struck down by plantar psoriasis (chronic but not life threatening) and this sort of thing can happen to anyone. No job and no income for many in their fifties will become a reality I'm sure. Horrible, dreadful. I suppose I feel a bit like one of the last of the lucky few.

19. I meant 'breast' cancer treatment.

20. I meant 'breast' cancer treatment