1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increasing pace in lessons - MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Janeybabes75, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am in much need of help and advice on how to increase pace in my lessons. I have had a few interviews and the main feedback that I have received has been that there is a lack of pace. Does anyone have any helpful hints on how I can improve on this.
    Thanks very much.

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

That was a good link. A lot comes down to how you operate whole class oral work: QA, drilling, repetition etc. Use plenty of repetition, either whole group or individuals or even small groups.Use "no hands up" if necessary. Work quickly without hectoring. If a pupil is slow go to another one, then come back later to the slower one. Don't be frightened of using the smartest first, then getting others to imitate.
    For weaker ones, warn them a question is coming their way in a moment to keep them alert and ready.
    With repetition, vary the style to include slowing down and speeding up, whispering, singing. Be demanding and smiling at the same time if possible.