1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increasing numbers at KS4

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lalex123, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Senior commenter

Hi everyone!

I currently teach in a small school in a deprived area. I have 11 students taking BTEC at the moment in year 10 and slightly more in year 11 (with less than 90 students in our year 11 cohort, and similar for year 10).

What do you do to increase your numbers? Is there anything I can ask for to help, or anything I can do that I haven't already thought of?

I currently run:
    Peripatetic lessons are £15 per 30 mins and we charge full price to students.

Extra curricular ensembles lead by me in keyboard, ukulele, guitar, samba and choir get minimal numbers also.

Concerts every term to raise money - we usually get around 100 spectators.

Thanks in advance!

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Nationally, there is about 7% uptake for GCSE music (not sure about the figures for btec) so you're not doing badly, and it sounds like you are building an active department with a range of activities. Bear in mind a group larger than 20 (some may say less) can be very hard to manage re facilities in music, and SLT often won't split a group unless it's larger than that.

I think that the way to get kids to take music in year 10 is to make year 9 really good, and make links to ks4 topics/marking in the curriculum. I always talk to all year 9 classes about GCSE with time for questions and addressing misconceptions. If you have the funding, some extra activities or workshop sessions/days for a whole year group or targeted year 9 students would raise the profile of music more, and extra-curricular activities for a limited amount of time, e.g. Heading towards a particular event, can be easier to get kids involved in because they perceive commitment as less. If you're not sure what they'd most like to do, ask them.

3. ECO1985

ECO1985 New commenter

Hi
    I think it is all to do with their experiences in KS3 and the extra curricular provision provided by the school. In my current school I have just recruited 24 for BTEC. One thing I would say is to be careful as a few of those that I have recruited truly struggle with Music and are finding it hard to access the course.

I know this sounds slightly naff but it is making music appear cool and getting them to see how Music can effect their future careers and the relevance it has to applying for university and college.Getting the parents onside with your subject can also help and ensuring they can see the benefits. This can be done through parents evenings, letters home and phone calls.

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

At a previous school, my SLT refused to split a class of 34, so be careful what you wish for!