1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increased tutiton fees & the number of NQTs

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by yourenglishteacher, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Question:

Will the increase in tution fees decrease the number of NQTs and hence lead to an increase demand for teachers and supply teachers?

2. Question:

Will the increase in tution fees decrease the number of NQTs and hence lead to an increase demand for teachers and supply teachers?

3. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Hopefully, and also the lack of primary bursary.

4. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

It is obvious to all teachers and this applies to many in permanent posts, there are too many teachers and not enough jobs for those who are qualified already. So if the number of training teachers fall, that is good for those looking for work. The only people moaning about the lack of student teachers are training colleges/universities, who will lose out on the income and the dept of Education, who live in a fantasy world, in which all teachers get jobs and there is a need for more teachers due to the thousands of imaginary jobs. The people who work for the dept of Education and the politicians need to wake up and see the bleak reality and future for most unemployed and supply teachers.

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

It won't simply as all those ex squaddies to fighter pilots will want jobs and the latter obviously don't need any training and the former just need 2 years on the job training (no degree required).

So we can denude our national defences (a Russian high school netball team could march into Whitehall soon lol and take us over) AND have enough teachers. I love our government!

I'm suffereing from half term sarcasm syndrom!

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Those are 2 questions.
    Will the increase in fees (and reductions in bursaries) reduce the number of NQTs??
    I expect so. In fact, I hope so as it seems so sad that so many people are encouraged to waste so much time, heart-breaking effort and money when it seems there are no jobs for them once trained - it seems to me the teacher training system was being run by the last government in a sort of communist "tractor production" way; celebrating the numbers being trained and hiding the statistics that were saying "but they don't have jobs".
    And:
    and hence lead to an increase demand for teachers and supply teachers?
    No, I don't think so. In secondary at least, I'm pretty sure the role of the supply teacher is doomed.
    Most schools already look after their budgets first by employing cheaper cover supervisors and, as more and more become academies (or new ones set up as "free schools") that aren't covered by the same regulations, the incentive of regulatory compliance to employ only qualified teachers gets even less.
    In fact, never mind supply, I can see we're not that far away from ignoring QTS completely. (Except when it suits management to select for redundancy on the grounds of not having QTS).
    The unions should be jumping up and down about this but they seem to have gotten out of the habit and appear to only get upset these days if there's something political they can have a go at - actually protecting the interests of their members seems a very long way down the list of their priorities.

7. historygrump

paulDG you echo my thoughts and posts, teaching as a profession is being destroyed in the name of money.

8. I wouldn't say that. I'd say it was being destroyed by arrogant, deluded heads.

The LEAs gave responsibility for supply provision to the heads. The heads have abused the position from their own position of utter plankitude.

9. darkness

darkness New commenter

No

10. I have written to Michael Gove (as many already have I know) regarding the many concerns within teaching and am awaiting his reply. Apparently it`s hell in fantasy land at the moment and Santa and the Tooth fairy are struggling to answer all the questions Mr Gove has for them.

11. historygrump

I may have upset the TA's on the TA forum (I know, am I the sort of person to upset anyone?), but I suggested that there was too many TA's in schools and that schools should basically get rid of them. A couple of replies suggested that TA's and HLTA's with degrees are better teachers then qualified and trained teachers, and they are more then good enough to teach kids. I got the impression that they regarded themselves better then trained teachers and that it is a waste of money to train teachers, when you have HLTA's capable of doing the teaching.

12. But it is purely academic - if they are such fantastic teachers why not get a teaching qualification? Surely with such confidence in their abilities it will be easy? Many will say it is a financial problem. Yes, probably the same one I still have after gaining QTS! I say bite the bullet if you believe in yourself. I have worked with some fantastic TAs during my time in supply and have never had any negative experiences - but I have had to learn to be assertive and not let the new supply teacher syndrome get me. Strangely, during my degree I was placed in schools with very few TAs so my experience as a teacher now is to hardly rely on them at all - I have had to readjust so as I do not appear ungrateful and aloof! I am learning to appreciate the support!

13. historygrump

Again I endorse your comments, I have encounted some fantastic TA's in my time, in fact I can understand and appreciate the role of the support staff, in that I have trained and worked in that area before going onto becoming a teacher.
    Again I endorse your sentiments about working without a TA, I sometimes find it easier working without a TA, then working with a TA, but this may be due to the fact that I am secondary trained and so having TA's in a classroom is not common. I appreicate the knowledge of the good TA on the children and what problems they may have and what they have done. Although this is mainly in the primary sector. But I feel that bad TA's, who regard themselves as teachers, undermine the excellant work of the good TA's.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They'd earn more on the GTP programme than they get as TAs/ HLTAs but they wouldn't be accepted on the scheme if they didn't have a degree.
    It's ludicrous that all ITT schemes regard a degree as essential for training teachers yet schools (and Mr Gove with his Free schools and under-educated military personnel as teachers) see fit to use unqualified staff in the role.
    It's the ultimate irony that we urge children to work hard and get as many qualifications as possible (to maximise earning power etc) and then withdraw teaching employment opportunities from those with qualifications in favour of employing unqualified staff.