1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Increase in official hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Suzannne, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Suzannne

Suzannne New commenter

Hi,
    I am looking for advice from anyone who knows about employment law. I am employed on 0.5 contract and work 3 days, with the contracted hours of 18 a week. On my 'half day' I start at 11am and am expected to stay until 5pm but usually this is later because meetings always over run.

I have just been informed that my timetable is being changed and I have to start at 9 am now on my 'half day' and still finish at 5. This means I now work 3 full days, 2 hours over my contracted hours (and of course this is additional to the extra hours I am doing at home, which is over 10 hours a week EVERY week, spread across my days off and weekends). I will still be classed as 0.5 and therefore will receive no extra pay for this. I have been told basically that's how it is and just get on and do it. Is this legal? I am also pregnant.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Are you in a Union? If so, contact them (if not - I'd join one if I were you).

FWIW (I am not a lawyer) I'd say you can't be forced to work extra contracted hours for no pay, unless your contract says that you can be made to - so check your contract. Therefore my gut feeling would be to simply refuse and continue to turn up as it states in your contract...and i'd arrange all my pregnancy related appointments for the disputed time (if possible).

But do get better informed advice - and congratulations, BTW.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have they added in two extra hours, or swapped things round so you have upaid time in the middle of the day?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good point made there by frustrum . . .