1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incorrect Teaching Practices = Weak Pedagogical Reasoning?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by karisshad17, Apr 8, 2019.

1. karisshad17

karisshad17 New commenter

As in: 0. Noted; N.oted; No.ted; Not.ed; Note.d ; Noted.0; Noted.00.....?

Hmmm.......I think you're on to something.......

2. karisshad17

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, may I suggest you simply switch off your screen (and mind) from this "Marathon-Math Jig" if it's getting too toxic for you. (Very puzzled about why this thread has over 1000 views.............?)

I respond to every commentator if what they say provokes something mathematics-related deserving of comment. It's the only thing I take seriously.

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It's the holidays, some of us are starting to feel rested, and we don't have our usual day job for car crash entertainment.

So this car crash thread where someone tries to be intellectual about teaching, gets called out by teachers, and then can't back down, is to teachers what Jeremy Kyle is to the long term daily mail reading unemployed.

willcott, PGCE_tutor, drvs and 2 others like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Good grief, is this still going?

Why can't people just accept that experienced teachers understand the teaching and learning process and trust us to get on with it instead of trying to impose misguided ideas on us?

A few months in s real classroom would kill or cure most of these arrogsnt eejits.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

The 'replies' on here are entertaining...:D:D:D

Flanks and sparkleghirl like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Holy Molybdenum. Stubborn as a mule. Or something.

Edited
    Oh dear. That's predictive text above but I quite like it and am going to leave it.

7. Flanks

Certainly seems to share my belief that talking to yourself is the only way to guarantee intelligent conversation!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm impressed that you use Molybdenum often enough that it comes up as predictive text! :eek:

sparkleghirl and Flanks like this.
  9. karisshad17

MY CONCLUDING STATEMENT

Mathematics has deep roots, like those of an ancient oak. They go back in time to Greece, India, Arabia and China. The roots are as invisible as the roots of a quadratic equation. And those roots grow and sprout to surface from Year 1 when children learn all about numbers. As they grow, they can be accessed by mathematical reasoning and made visible by visual reasoning.

Metaphorically speaking, Mathematics has many fruits, as diverse as those in an orchard. And they come with flowers that carry the scent of many colours. These are the benefits and advantages they bring to humankind.

Mathematics has the power to satisfy human curiosity, even a young child’s. It is a subject that delivers….or can deliver…curiosity-satisfying experiences. This is done via numerical and verbal reasoning. Reasoning lies at the heart of mathematics. If Faith has wings, then reasoning is the wind beneath that lifts it. Reasoning lies in the design and structure of the wing itself. It is in Nature itself, and all around us. But Mathematics is like a magnet that draws them all in and turns them into mysterious “numbers”.

Mathematics teachers are the parents of all professions. Once those professions were restricted to engineers and scientists and the like. Today they extend to many more because they have entered the DNA of progress at multiple levels of human endeavour. Tomorrow’s teachers will need pedagogical reasoning tools to mine the depth and scope of Mathematics in the way that the future demands. It is why teachers everywhere strive to make mathematics so engaging and participatory. It is why teachers aspire to give mathematics the depth and meaning that they themselves draw from it.

People like myself plant the seeds of Mathematics believing in all of the above. Often we plant them on stony grounds. But there are fertile grounds…however small… that lie beyond the parameters of this thread where over a thousand minds view these exchanges and come to their own conclusions.

Thank you all for making this thread worthy of the attention of many. My sincerest apologies to all I may have offended (un-intendedly). And a very Happy Easter to all! :)

10. Flanks

Ok, now I know this is a wind up!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

What do you think children learn about before they start preschool? When they are in nursery classes? What about reception classes?

And since when do roots 'sprout to surface'? Roots generally stay underground...

An amusing post which made me laugh.
    Clearly nonsense, but amusing none the less.

12. karisshad17

13. karisshad17

I am not taking any more questions and inquiries on this thread. Nor offering any further clarifications to commentators who offered their valuable holiday-time to participate in this discussion-thread. I intend to open another Discussion Thread subsequently (when time permits me) to invite teachers to share specific teaching problems they encounter when teaching mathematical concepts (Yrs1 through 4) . Or aspects of any mathematics concept that they find hard to explain/communicate/demonstrate. The idea would be to explore pedagogy that connects teaching maths with the way minds learn numeracy and numerical reasoning. Could generate very illuminating trajectories of thinking and meaning-making!

14. drvs

drvs Star commenter

For those in this thread who are still taking questions, I wonder: is self importance to arrogance as this thread is to folly?

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Because...?
    So not to find solutions to those problems then?

16. caterpillartobutterfly

Yes.

Lets hope the new thread comes at half term or in the summer holiday so we all have time to read and be amused by the nonsense.

Flanks likes this.
  17. Flanks

I would say so.

I have asked my lovely wife to buy extra popcorn for the next thread!

18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Oh good.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  19. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Is it safe to read the forum yet??