1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incorrect payments etc by agencies!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Boba Fett, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Boba Fett

Boba Fett New commenter

Who else seems to be routinely incorrectly payed or
    not payed, told lies to, made promises which are not kept, if only we
    could log or record the frequency of their presumably illegal
    practices and make them public and expose them something could be
    done about it!!!!!.

2. Not me. My agency pay me every Wednesday and it's always correct. I feel really sorry for those of you who are messed about. there is no need for it. How hard can it be to see that Ms x has worked x days at £x per day?

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I've only ever had a handful of problems but they have been quickly resolved. If you have been under paid the first thing to do is speak to the consultant who booked you into the school. If I have any problems they are usually corrected on my payslip the week after. If you have no joy with the consultant then I would ring payroll directly!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I do 1-1 - they seem to find handling the number of hours I do a bit tricky especially as I combine 1-1 with whole class teaching at a different pay rate. I have had some fun conversations with the school office and the agency to ensure everyone knows what I've done.
    But a phone call normally resolves things.

5. It's happened me a few times now that I do a job, check my pay slip and find that each day of supply I've been paid less that my usual rate. I ring to complain/question. They say they'll ring me back. They don't. I ring again and they put me on to one of their more aggressive 'team members' and say that the school changed their rate so it has been reflected in my pay. I hang up, raging, knowing that I am powerless to do anything about it and apply for a few non-teaching posts so that hopefully by next academic year I can stick my middle finger up to these agencies.

6. There are regulations in place that control the way in which agencies operate. Threaten the agencies with these regulations:
    The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Business Regulations 2003 Part 2 Para 12 - "Shall not withhold .... the whole or any part of any payment in respect of any work done by the work seeker"

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I keep my own records of hours worked, rates etc and check the figures carefully each week.

There have been a number of occasions where I have been underpaid, and one occasion where they made an unnecessary deduction which I had to challenge repeatedly before they admitted to a mistake. Most annoyingly, the last non-payment was due to a mess up at the agency, and nobody took responsibility for it or apologised. E-mails were ignored. I only found this out when I pursued it with the school and they pointed the finger.

Additionally, I have overpaid a few hundred in tax to an LEA I was working for, due to they way their payroll system calculates tax deductions earlier in the school year. I can do nothing to recover this money until April.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If your agency cannot get this right then leave them and sign up with an agency that can. I have never had any trouble with agencies paying up so it sounds like your lot are incompetent.