1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incorrect job application

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nataliejd1, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hi, I found a job on TES which is perfect for me and which I really want, I submitted my application last night after spending days working on my supporting statement. When I looked again today I noticed that all the paragraphs have merged into one, what should I do?

2. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Contact them today and explain what has happened and resubmit, after checking that you definitely have resolved the issue.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I always export both letter and form to pdf before sending, that way I know exactly how it's going to look when they open it. I know some seem to have online appliaction systems which don't lend themselves to this but where possible, it's worth doing.

Pomza, 7eleven and Stiltskin like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Happens all the time. You would think schools would invest in more sophisticated software to enable prospective teachers to save time when filling out their application forms. I spend MORE time editing the format of the application form than filling it in. Things like typing in responses and having to take the bold off, and changing the font to a larger font so it stands out from the questions.

All in all, a hugely time wasting and frustrating experience. Great advice about sending a pdf as that can't jump around and good luck with the application.

Hope you and the school are the perfect match.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not seriously - Mark your own application in pink pen (for progress) and green pen (for growth) and resubmit. They will love you.

Seriously - as suggested above, re-format, convert to .pdf and resubmit along with an apology and explanation.

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Just hope it was not teaching ICT.

sbkrobson, nomad and catbefriender like this.
  8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Truth is ICT or Computer Science shouldn't be confined to mastering the finite art of filling in outdated word documents the schools repeatedly use. Some are still .doc and haven't been formatted to .docx!

I wonder if providing these outdated forms are part of the recruitment process and a test of the teachers' commitment and resilience o_O

primenumbers and BetterNow like this.
  9. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Could be worse. You've sent the right words in a slightly off format, scuppered by the infernal demons of computer technology, to the right people at the right time.

You haven't sent the wrong application to the wrong school at the wrong time.

Dear governing body of St Bogwart's School,

I have longed to teach at St Arsloch's School since before I even trained as a teacher...
    Far worse has happened!

Pomza, catbefriender and nomad like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

I once sent a profuse apology to the head of a school I'd applied to for getting his name wrong. I couldn't understand how it had happened, it was the only job I was applying for at the time and so I couldn't have confused it with another school - there was no explanation and I was very sorry and hoped he would still consider my application.

He replied with a 'don't worry, these things happen'. I was interviewed, was offered and accepted the job.

Going through applications at some later point in time, I realised that the name wasn't wrong at all. He must have really thought I was mad and must have been desperate for a teacher.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D:D:D
    Sorry....this really made me laugh!

12. sparkleghirl

I'd have laughed as well if I wasn't so puzzled.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I turned up for a headship interview on the wrong day. Didn't get it - what a surprise.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Oooops!

I'm going to try to remember some of these when I next have an interview.
    However badly it goes...hey at least I turned up on the right day and knew the headteacher's name! ;)

(Sorry it is mean to laugh at others, but sometimes it is comforting. )

15. sparkleghirl

Are you familiar with the concept of tempring fate?

lindenlea likes this.
  16. caterpillartobutterfly

:p:p:p

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I do like interview blooper anecdotes! Schadenfreude!
    A young friend of mine qualified as a Primary Teacher and she got married at about the same time. They were a very openly loving couple, and just about every time he left the room or she went out, she would say "I love you". Phone calls too-there it was "see you later, love you".
    I suppose you can guess where this is going-her first interview for a Primary post, the HT and panel were wrapping it up, told her she was free to go and on the way out stated "we will let you know definitely by the end of the day one way or another". And yep, out it came from my auto-pilot exiting friend "thank you so much, I love you".
    Later that day she told me her face was burning for the whole journey home, and even now a few years later when we rib her about it, she goes red.

Got the job, mind!

18. Leigh1999

Leigh1999 New commenter

I thought this forum was supposed to be for workplace dilemmas??

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Maybe this could be an interview tip...tell the panel you love them!

sbkrobson and lindenlea like this.
  20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This could be a lot worse. I once spelled my own name incorrectly in an email to a prospective employer..,.