1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

incorrect exam answers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by whistler, Jan 10, 2011.

1. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/resources/help/miscon.htm

This might be another starting point for some Foundation Topics.

2. Well, I would use their books! [​IMG]
    Presumably, they have got things wrong at some time. [​IMG]
    Find and photocopy examples, pass them out and seek responses. [​IMG]
    I would not use the classic mistakes posters - TBH, they confuse more than help because you end up explaining the mistake because it is in a method they have not seen before.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I write my own mistakes in based on ones I have seen that class making when marking books or exam papers. I often keep a sheet of paper next time me when marking mock exams to summarise the mistakes. You often see the same mistake a number of times - misconceptions are infectious!
    I have found that lower ability groups can struggle to spot the mistake. It helps to produce the same set of questions repeated in 2 columns. I make mistakes in one instance of the question and do another correctly - trying to be random about it. They have to work out which is right. It is an effective way of modelling what you are hoping to see in the way of working out.