1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inconsistent grading for TTs

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Blotty123, May 23, 2019.

1. Blotty123

Blotty123 New commenter

Hi how do you handle the inconsistency with TT gradings? Everyone who I speak to has had completely different experiences and has been required to do different things to improve their standards. As trainees we all discuss where we have been marked and how some of us have done much more to prove themselves than others, but sometimes have been rated lower. We have all come to the conclusion that it very much depends on what your mentor percieves to be good or outstanding and what your school requires.
    When I discussed this with my subject tutor she just said it doesn't matter what grade you recieve as it doesn't change gaining QTS. However, with this final assessment looming it just seems so unfair that some people are trying to jump through impossible hoops to get a good whilst others are strolling into outstanding.

What have your experiences been?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It's all completely subjective.

The final 'grade' you receive is also meaningless - it will not appear on your PGCE or QTS certificate.

When you are completing your NQT induction it will be more of the same.

And forever after.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Precisely the same. During my first placement, I was told by my bullying mentor that I needed to 'consider SEN and TA deployment' after my second ever lesson. I got a substandard grading from her. I later found out that others were getting some categories as outstanding and good yet had never even considered SEN or 'TA deployment' even after the 8 weeks of placement.

The whole mentoring thing is subjective and farcical and needs rethinking if you ask me.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

My friends and I constantly debate this, with the conclusion that it's all completely subjective and varies between every teacher.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We never had grades. The whole industry was pass or fail. And then ofsted decided to intervene during its 'progress' crusade years. Now it turns out that these grades are not only meaningless (what is 'progress’?), but are hindering Mr Gibb's need to provide teachers so he’s told ofsted to back off and now over the next few years all the providers are removing grading.
    Every year some trainees in easy gigs and kind mentors get great grades and some trainees in tough gigs with hard mentors get not so great grades. Swap them over and the grades would still be the same. You try your best to mediate but each mentor has their own in built fault lines.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

this exactly.

All teacher performance management is meaningless, and subjective, just get used to it.

Look at the thread about comments given in lesson observations.

I've in the past been given totally opposing feedback by 2 individual managers who inadvertently both observed the same part of the same lesson, each without realising the other was there.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Plus have you ever looked at that full list of 'teacher standards? There are so many criteria.
    I was once given one to observe an interview lesson and base my 'report back' on it. There's no way during a short period of time one could observe and take note of all those points. so inevitably one prioritises, based on a quick decision within the first few minutes. This section seems good/ that section may need some work etc and no two teachers would make the same decisions.

It's a bit like with our classes. One make judgements by the end of a lesson, pupils a, d , h . . . . etc seem to have 'got it'. unsure about b, c, g . . . and e and h . …. need some extra input.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

It's so subjective. Welcome to teaching

To be honest, I tell trainees the same thing every year: they need to focus on acting on their targets and spend less time comparing gradings with other trainees. The more time they can spend improving subject and pedagogy, the better teacher they will become.

As a mentor i get trainees for second placement from certain schools adamant they're 'good' only to find they were 'good' in a school where they were essentially cover supervising their department's pre-planned lessons. They had such poor pedagogical understanding it was concerning. The main message: you can't know the nuances of different schools and how they operate so focus on your own feedback.