1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incomprehensible headlines

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What the absolute ****?

upload_2019-1-23_17-50-59.png
    BBC.co.uk.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Police in Arizona say they have arrested a nurse after a patient at a care facility gave birth.
    The suspect has been named as Nathan Sutherland, 36, who worked at the Hacienda Healthcare clinic.
    He is being charged with one count of sexual assault and one count of abusing a vulnerable adult.
    The 29-year-old patient, who has reportedly been in the care of the clinic since she was a toddler, gave birth on 29 December.
    Staff at the facility said at the time that they were unaware she was pregnant until she went into labour.
    The child, a boy, is now in the care of the patient's family.
    After the birth, a police investigation into the sexual assault was launched and DNA samples were collected from male staff.
    Authorities said Mr Sutherland is a licensed practical nurse who was responsible for caring for the victim during the time the sexual assault took place.
    He is being held at the Maricopa County Jail.

There you go - fixed it for you :)

3. Vince_Ulam

Thanks for trying, Monica, but the headline is still incomprehensible. Readers should be able to look at a headline and have an idea about the subject of the article.

sadscientist likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Given the story itself, any headline that would give an idea about the subject of the article would be too long to be a headline. Maybe something like 'Rapist Nurse Identified By DNA' would work, although you'd still have to read the article to get the whole story.

5. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Sadly, the craft of the sub-editor has been eroded by the demands of the digital, 24-hour news media produced as cheaply as possible.

minnie me and monicabilongame like this.
  6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I’m pretty sure that having read this story the headline would be the last thing I’d be getting outraged about.

bombaysapphire and sbkrobson like this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Had the word 'in' been replaced by 'over' then that would have made some difference, purely from convention. Better yet replace 'birth' by 'pregnancy' as nobody gives birth to women.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

I am not outraged by this story, although I hope the rapist receives an appropriate criminal sentence, the victim is provided with adequate care & security and her son has a happy and productive life ahead of him. Are you outraged by this story?

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Nothing new here: Sticks Nix Hick Pix (1935)

10. Vince_Ulam

See post #1.

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Another classic of the genre...
    image.jpeg

nizebaby, knitone, minnie me and 3 others like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Hahaha! A hyphen would have helped....

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I already knew the story so it made perfect sense to me.

chelsea2 likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It would be nice to think that outrage at this story is a result of a conscience about the illegal, immoral and irreversible impact of rape. That's before being outraged at all of this applying to somebody incredibly vulnerable, and to a further person who carries this act as significant to their provenance for the rest of their life. And that's before the fact that the perpetrator enabled themselves by virtue of a job of responsibility and caring.
    For me, any gauche or semi accomplished attempt at sound biting to headline this outrageous act is irrelevant, much as if I saw a fatal motorway pile-up, I would not be concerned that one of the drivers had failed to wash their car for several years.
    I am possibly not alone in feeling a wrench at human destitution more than disapproval at manipulable artifice.
    Possibly.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. Vince_Ulam

Some of our peers would benefit from sub-editors.

16. Vince_Ulam

Ambiguous.

17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

A man was able to rape a woman with severe intellectual disabilities, who needs breathing and feeding tubes, who cannot communicate but is able to respond to sound and demonstrate an awareness of her surroundings, who has been in the care of this facility since she was 3, and no one in the facility noticed she was pregnant until she went into labour? And how did they know? Because she began moaning in pain.
    Yes.
    I’m pretty outraged at the appalling suffering that someone in an incredibly vulnerable situation has been forced to endure for 9 months at least , if not more.

Jamvic and bombaysapphire like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

An incomprehensible crime deserves an incomprehensible headline.

Disgusting human being.

19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Was going to comment. Thought better of it. Phew!

20. Vince_Ulam

Yes, all very horrible but the man has been caught and will be punished. I reserve my outrage for things closer to home. If I became outraged every time I read of a horrible thing somewhere in the world then I should never have a moment's calm.

I recognised a long time ago that outrage is often no more than procrastination disguised as empathy.