1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Incompetent Headteacher - What do we do?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Zebadee, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I am on the SMT of a primary school. All the SMT have serious concerns about the competency of our Headteacher. If anybody could offer guidance about what our next steps are in this difficult situation then I would be very grateful.
    Some do's and dont's would be extremely beneficial.

Many Thanks

Zeb.

2. I am on the SMT of a primary school. All the SMT have serious concerns about the competency of our Headteacher. If anybody could offer guidance about what our next steps are in this difficult situation then I would be very grateful.
    Some do's and dont's would be extremely beneficial.

Many Thanks

Zeb.

3. Surely a meeting with the chair of governors?

4. We thought of this, but wanted to make sure there was nothing else we should do beforehand. Once this can of worms gets opened, there's no going back...

5. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Have you raised your concerns fully with your Headteacher? I would make sure that you have done this clearly and carefully first. Perhaps you don't know the whole story? Perhaps decisions are being made that you are not fully aware of? Perhaps the Head feels the SMT are distant/unsupportive?
    Imagine you were the HT involved? How would you want to be treated? I would suggest a frank discussion with examples, for example if you think things aren't being tackled that should be then discuss these with her/him. I would urge you to do this first. It may be that they refuse to agree or see that there are issues (then the Gov are the next step), maybe they may admit that they feel beseiged, maybe there might be an issue to explain why there is some underperformance (family illness, impending divorce) while this is not an excuse for underachievement but might get things moving in the right direction.
    Is your Headteacher a newie who still might be finding their feet, or someone who has being letting things slip for a while? You might also talk to a friendly LA adviser to sound them out, if the HT isn't leading well it is likely to have been noted elsewhere. Although you are not the Head as Smt you have leadership responsbilities and a thorough discussion with them (however awkward this may be) is surely the best first response. Good Luck, and keep things factual in the discussion, rather than general. [​IMG]