1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"incompatable" pupils.

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Moosetea, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,
    I've now spent a few weeks in my first ever TA post, and generally I enjoy it. I spend quite a lot of time out of class supporting a small group of year 6 pupils who are so disengaged from the curriculum that their behaviour is really, really challenging. Most of the time, I manage; I can't get the same level of 'respect' from them that they afford their class teacher (but then I think they're good judges of where adults are on the authority ladder), but I can get them to more or less complete tasks that are set.
    The problem is that once a week, I have an extra pupil in who really does not get on with others in the group. The pupil often gets insulted (in a langauge I don't understand!) by others and reacts loudly and violently - swearing, fists, pushing, etc. If I shout at the pupil for violent behaviour, then it appears to heighten the pupil's anger, and if I try and calmly reason with the pupil, then they think it's ok to continue with the aggressive behaviour. I don't feel like I can win.
    I don't know what the alternative is; they can't stay in the classroom because they're working at level one, whereas the classroom work is obviously focussed on trying to get the rest to achieve level 4's. However, I'm really worried that one day the aggressive behaviour might get out of control. Does anyone have any tips on how to manage situations like this?
    Thank you! :)

2. Your school should have a behaviour policy that every adult in school sticks to. This way all adults are respected in the same way. Ours is up in every classroom and the children know exactly what will happen when the wrong choices are made. You need to know what your schools is and stick to it like glue. Never ever threaten and not do. Don't shout at kids like this, it is confrontational and the kid will naturally attack you back. Stay cool and calm and go through the behaviour policy. For example ours is 'a verbal warning, name on the board, time out in class, time out in a partner class, detention (parents informed), black card which is an internal exclusion and then external exclusion.
    And I agree with the above, the teacher should be differentiating the work for all the children.
    I

3. helpfulfriend

helpfulfriend New commenter

I can only agree with everyone, as a hlta I am expected to differentiate and work with all the children in the class even those with severe behavioural difficulties. Certainly the teacher/ smt should back you up re behaviour and respect. By the way I fail to see why you cannot get the same level of respect as c.t. you are an adult in the school same as anyone else. all children will push the boundaries year 6 especially but you need the backing of others in school. What about asking the c.t. if you can work in the class with these children after all schools should be about inclusion and if these children work outside of the classroom then this is defo not inclusion!. stay strong and ask for back up.
    Keep calm when behaviour is getting bad reiterate expectations and use the behaviour policy
    good luck.