1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inclusivity

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jun 13, 2020.

1. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Not likely.
    A quick web search will show plenty of research-backed evidence about racial biases by schools against children in terms of punishments and placements, about hiring issues...
    But even so, you might be right. Schools could still be the least discriminatory environment in the UK. Scary thought.

2. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Because you have a bunch of uppity white ladies who are bored and want to play 'pity the PoC'; it really is the worst kind of racism.

alex_teccy likes this.
  3. Mitochondria1

The kind of people who attack Katharine Birbalsingh for breaking the victim mentality and having high expectations.

There are a lot of decent stats regarding teacher demographics in the UK, and as ACOYEAR8 says, the UK is pretty much spot on; there is no issue except for the lack of men in the profession.
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...data/file/725118/Leadership_Analysis_2018.pdf

Talking about China, and other countries, it varies from location to location, from culture to culture. It's hypocritical to whine about discrimination if you teach in a school with a perceived 'discrimination' issue if you yourself are the so-called desirable white teacher; you're part of the problem, but cognitive dissidence seems to be popular with that kind of crowd...

24hours likes this.
  4. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Can you post some of this research backed evidence?

24hours likes this.
  5. gulfgolf

I could but I won’t. I doubt it would help. If anyone is interested, it’s easy enough to find things, and then explore freely rather than see my limited sample.

MsOnline likes this.
  6. alex_teccy

I don’t believe you.

Punishment in school is beneficial for students, it means that the child will overcome their discipline problems and allow themselves and others to achieve more in the classroom. To see it otherwise is to turn reality on its head.

It maybe that certain groups experience more punishment, but then they’re more badly behaved.

Children from lone parent families, particularly boy where fathers are not present in the household, experience higher rates of exclusion and higher rates of mental illness. You can “do a quick web search” on that.

7. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

***??
    Interested to see where this leads.
    Tread carefully.

MsOnline likes this.
  8. Mitochondria1

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Onus on on you to cite your sources.

9. alex_teccy

I can show you exactly where this is going.

https://community.tes.com/threads/take-the-knee

Children from lone parent families are more likely to be excluded from school, suffer mental health problems, in the case of girls become sexual active earlier, for boys end up in gangs, and end up in jail.

10. Mitochondria1

Or what?

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. gulfgolf

What extraordinary claim? That it’s easy to do your own web search? Perhaps it’s true that no one, up to now, has expressed this level of confidence in your abilities, but I have faith in you. Go on, give it a try. I don’t have the evidence yet, but I will as soon as you demonstrate that you are capable of using a search engine.

MsOnline likes this.
  12. Mitochondria1

*yawn* I've seen better quality debates in primary school. It's not up to me to find evidence to support your claims of discrimination.

alex_teccy likes this.
  13. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

I teach argument formation and discussion for years 10 and 11 and one of the first things I drill into kids is they have to provide evidence for their assertions. I see this a lot more online these days. People make statements then say Do Your Own Research (DYOR) that they think seemingly ends the discussion because the other side is "too lazy to do a google search". The reason you have to provide your evidence is that its too easy for your opponent to claim they haven't seen your evidence, or that it doesn't exist or that its tainted and then they dismiss your position. Providing your source allows both parties to determine if the source is credible or not. Once you agree upon the credibility of your evidence can you then debate the nuance of it. Simply saying "you can do a google search and find this all out" doesn't allow for your opponent to know if you're arguing in good faith or not.

14. gulfgolf

Except we’re not in school, not enrolled in your class, and I don’t answer to you.
    We’re on a forum that some of us, including me, have been participating in for over a decade, and requests for evidence and citations have never been a part of what goes on here.
    A poster made the extraordinary claim that UK schools were the least racist environment around. No one asked that poster for evidence or citations. No one called it an “extraordinary claim” (except me, in this sentence). I responded that I thought he was wrong, and specifically left the door open that he might be right (as disturbing as that would be to me).
    But somehow I’m the one beset with claims that I’ve made an extraordinary claim, and I’m told I must provide evidence.
    This line of attack has been often used to drown out reasonable voices and speakers of unpleasant truths. It’s a tool to squash discourse, not propel it forward. In my refusal to do others’ research for them, I am recognizing simultaneously that entrenched racism deniers will neither bother to look, nor be convinced by anything I present, while those with true interest will indeed look and make their own conclusions.

cherpat87 and MsOnline like this.
  15. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

But the point is still the same. You based your viewpoint on, in your words "my limited sample". Many times in debate if someone provides sources, I'll check them because I'm interested in where they get their points from, also with the prominence of fake news and misrepresentation of facts, providing sources gives, in my view, legitimacy to your perspective. Lazily generalizing you believe "my posting won't change others minds" entrenches you in the same position that you say of others, that they're too stubborn to learn anything different.

in terms of the OP's point about racism in schools, I'd expect the same from them if they was making the claims they have. They should back up their claim just as they expects you to.

16. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

No it's your job to educate yourself.

Especially as I suspect you find a reason for the evidence to be flawed.

Education of self has been proven to improve lives.

17. MsOnline

This is racist.

And I couldn't care less if you're offended.

If you have nothing to contribute to the thread why not post on one you're interested in? Bored?

18. alex_teccy

How is it racist?

19. MsOnline

Personally I'm not having a debate.

Racism exists.

And we're not in the classroom now, this thread could be a space for professionals to share their experiences and solutions. Why join if you have nothing useful to contribute? Why would you invest that time?

If you want evidence DYOR.

cherpat87 and gulfgolf like this.
  20. MsOnline

Excellent post.

gulfgolf likes this.