1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inclusivity

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, Jun 13, 2020.

1. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

Just want to add that despite my
    negative experiences, I do not want to discourage people of colour specifically black people from applying for international roles, it is a really rewarding experience, and if you get the right fit in terms of school, then the problems you may face from parents are a lot more easier to deal with. Furthermore your real customers "the students" usually do not have the issues their parents have, and it is a great opportunity for them to interact with someone from a different background to what they are used to, and debunk any myths they may have.

mkhize_such and MsOnline like this.
  2. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I read that

3. grdwdgrrrl

The key word you used here is “openly”.
    This is about implicit biases. Good grief.

MsOnline likes this.
  4. grdwdgrrrl

Lord above. So, disenheartening.

5. grdwdgrrrl

They shouldn’t. I am begging for more colour in my school.

MsOnline likes this.
  6. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

And you still didn't answer the question.

7. MsOnline

MsOnline Occasional commenter

I understand how you feel but hope you might feel encouraged that there are many who appreciate that you started this discussion.

sully007 and grdwdgrrrl like this.
  8. grdwdgrrrl

I am hopeful. I am hopeful for myself as well.

9. grdwdgrrrl

Because that is not what happens. There is so much research out there about this. People hire people like themselves or people they like. That is it. It's who you know, what you know. The unknown is scary for people. It just is. People can't see their own biases. It's been researched and explored, it's a fact. Take a test.
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

10. Mitochondria1

You still didn't answer the question.

11. grdwdgrrrl

“Why is diversity so desirable in the workplace again? Why should it not be the best person for the job regardless of 'diversity'?”

If only that we actually true. Goodness, it’s not really what happens, is it? After you’ve weeded out the candidates that you glanced at and decided they weren’t this or that. You’ve kept the ones that were this or that. Take a good look at what they look like. Compare. Maybe you are squeaky clean and perfect. You’d be the only one.

12. grdwdgrrrl

BTW, I was told to my face today that our lovely international schools here resist hiring “coloured teachers” because the parents would complain. The local parents want white teachers!

13. Mitochondria1

You still didn't answer the question, I suspect that's because you don't have an answer for it
    Why is diversity so desirable in the work place?

14. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

The world is diverse, so it would be good if schools could reflect that.

This is true for colour, gender and sexuality.

cherpat87 likes this.
  15. Mitochondria1

Why? Is it diverse in all countries? Why is it good to reflect that? How should we reflect that? Should be have a token PoC in each school? Or maybe proportional representation in every school?

16. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I guess that at the heart of this is the fact that most international schools are exclusive and that's a paradox when we talk about inclusivity.

Questions:

Would it be better if children had some male teachers, rather than only female teachers, in primary?
    Would it be better if children were taught by female science teachers, as well as male?
    Would it be better if the gay/bi/trans child had had a gay/bi/trans teacher?

Does that mean quotas, probably not - not least because that would be wholly unenforceable - but surely these are some of the questions we should be asking, no?

17. TowelHill

TowelHill New commenter

That is an interesting question Mitochondria. I've seen my large department implement an inclusivity policy over the past two years. Fall in standards in my opinion.

18. grdwdgrrrl

Well, we’ve done this without diversity. What says that it wouldn’t be better with?

19. Mitochondria1

Judging by your previous posts, the parents in your community for one...

If you want to facilitate change, then you will need to convince people. You're yet to give a sensible justification of diversity for diversity's sake...

20. Mitochondria1

If those questions have answers to them with decent (most educational research is shambolic) research behind those answers, then maybe there will be something to look at.