1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Include masters degree on application?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by cd556, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I'm starting a masters in Psychology of Education this September with the intention of applying for a TA position after I finish next year. I have a TA qualification and a bit of classroom and non-classroom experience.
    A few people have suggested that it might be worthwhile leaving my masters degree out of my application form/CV. The idea is that the school might think I'd be likely to leave after just a short time, in search of greener pastures.
    I've been working part time teaching English online, which I'll continue to do through my masters, so there wouldn't be any gap in employment history if I left my masters out.
    The idea really annoys me because my masters will be extremely relevant to an educational setting and of course I'd hate to have to leave it out of my CV.
    Any thoughts?

2. I'm starting a masters in Psychology of Education this September with the intention of applying for a TA position after I finish next year. I have a TA qualification and a bit of classroom and non-classroom experience.
    A few people have suggested that it might be worthwhile leaving my masters degree out of my application form/CV. The idea is that the school might think I'd be likely to leave after just a short time, in search of greener pastures.
    I've been working part time teaching English online, which I'll continue to do through my masters, so there wouldn't be any gap in employment history if I left my masters out.
    The idea really annoys me because my masters will be extremely relevant to an educational setting and of course I'd hate to have to leave it out of my CV.
    Any thoughts?

3. Absolutely not, it's an asset. You shouldn't be selling yourself short to get a job! To have someone fantastic for 1 year would be far better than to not have them at all.

4. Thanks for your reply.
    It'd be really useful to hear from anyone in a similar position, but it's already September, so I guess finding a TA position isn't a concern for most people at the minute!

5. I've got a Masters degree (not education related in the slightest). I included them on my application. I had the interview yesterday and I got the job, (my first interview for a TA job after completing my L3 a few months ago) so I can safely say it obviously didn't put them off. [​IMG]
    I say include it. :)

6. meant to say "Masters degree and a professional qualification", hence the "included them" grr