1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Include expressive arts subjects in the Ebacc

Discussion in 'Education news' started by jules7a, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Include expressive arts in the Ebacc?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2016.
  1. YES

71.4%
  2. NO

28.6%
  1. jules7a

jules7a New commenter

Is the Ebacc threatening your subject and potentially your career? Do you know pupils who benefit from not having a purely academic education?

I've seen school timetables push the arts subjects to one side in favour of the Ebacc. I'm not dismissing the Ebacc as a valid qualification but I would like to see the arts subjects included in the pupils options.

Follow the link to find out more.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111731

stupot101 likes this.
  2. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Technology is on the way out as well. Too expensive to run in many schools and a nosedive for technology teacher recruitment means the writing's on the wall for it as a subject.

4. stupot101

That is a shame as well.We need poeople with these kond of skills

5. jules7a

jules7a New commenter

Thanks to all who have followed the link and signed the petition.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

If you put a hen in a cage and stuff it full of protein it will grow fast and lay lots of eggs. And then die. If you allow it to grow more slowly in a varied environment with lots of nice experiences it will grow more slowly and lay fewer eggs per week, but it will live far, far longer, and over that time lay as many eggs as the caged hen did. And do a lot of other things besides. And be healthier. Children in school strike me as being a lot like battery hens these days.

Hasn't it been shown many times that doing things like learning an instrument and art makes children better at everything? It should be compulsory, not pushed out!

neddyfonk likes this.
  7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

I am in favour of ditching all formal qualifications. Surely it is more useful to have a list of competencies rather than exam results. Just because someone cannot cope with long division without using a calculator it should not exclude them from being a warehouse manager. Neither should not having read Hamlet debar anyone from becoming an accountant. A good mix of competencies in logic, basic maths, cataloging, creative writing, judo, baking cakes, orienteering, observation skills, child care, cleaning safety, woodwork, building databases, Computer aided design etc gives a far clearer picture of what a person likes / is capable of mastering / brings to 'the party'.

stupot101 likes this.
  8. stupot101

Yes, but you see everything has to be measured as for as our political leaders are concerned. It provides them with the ammunition with which to fire at education, in order to divide and rule! They like to play the blame game!

9. stupot101

I should have added.
    'They like to play the blame game, except with their own children's education'