1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incidents that didn?t result in a permanent exclusion

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by oldandrew, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Only Me

Only Me New commenter

Last week, a kid stabbed another kid in the face with a metal pen, causing a bleeding wound that needed hospital treatment. Head says 'On reflection, I think this was a heat of the moment thing'

I did however have a wonderful thought of stabbing him in the face and claiming that it was the heat of the moment!

The next day a teacher was pushed by a Year 11 and he says "It'll be ok - I get on well with his mother'

I think 'ok I'll introduce you to my mum so when I push you off a cliff it'll be ok'

Do you think there's a directive from above that's saying 'get rid of the teachers but you only win if they don't suspect'????????

2. Only Me

You fool! now you have given the game away, you're not supposed to let on when you DO suspect.

Now we won't get a luxury food budget next half term.

sigh.....

3. At amazes me what gets punished and what doesn't !!!

The other day a year 10 pupil got sent home for refusing to wear his tie while another child got to spend time with their mentor after having a fight!!

Personally, I would rather teach a child who can behave in class without a tie than some of the little gits who subtly disruptive every single lesson...

4. A kid in my old form brought in an air rifle and shot a year 7 in the head with it (narrowly missing his eye) He got a week.

5. -Should've been sent to young offenders! Little s£$t!

When I was at school myself, the ring leader of the bullies who used to regularly pick on me stabbed HIS MATE in the cheek with a pair of scissors whilst in Textiles. We all had to write out what we saw. Pupil X was excluded for 1 day after it was declared an accident as he only meant to punch his mate but he forgot he had scissors in his hand ????? ***?
    You can imagine how I felt, you know, with NOT being his mate? I thought I was a goner! Lol

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

One of my colleagues was reeatedly punched by a Year 11 girl but nothing happened to her as he was said to have provoked her. His provocation was to stop her jumping out of a second floor window!

7. delenn

delenn New commenter

At a school I worked in previously a Y8 pupil brought explosives stolen from a nearby buliding site into school and dropped a huge lump of concrete on them to 'see what would happen'. Shrapnel from the explosion hit a member of staff in the throat and the colleague on duty with him was traumatised. Luckily there was a nurse on site as the pupils were getting some innoculations.

THe Head's reactio? To call it a 'prank that went a bit wrong' and to send the traumatised teacher back into the classroom with the class that this pupil was in. There was no attempt to support her at all. THe teacher hit in the throat survived but the shrapnel could not be removed because of the damage it could cause and there was the potential for future problems. I got out of that school as quickly as I could.

The pupil involved eventually was excluded and not long after I left the head was sacked and the school was put into special measures.

8. Head butting an English teacher. 2 Days suspended.

9. Setting another girls (yr 10 I think) hair on fire while she walked down the corridor on her birthday- 5 days- Not only did she have really nice long hair but now scared walking down corridors alone

10. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

(Happened today at a North Birmingham School):

A black teacher was called a 'black *******' by a sneering, white pupil.

No sanction at all. So racism is tolerated at this school? Apparently so.

(He's only a supply teacher, so doesn't count).

The SMT at this school think its a Great school, Barr none, apparently.

11. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

I got spat at in the face and called a c**t.

The lad got a week off (no doubt to play with his playstation)

...because the school didn't want its permanent exclusion rates to go up.

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

A boy recently called a teacher 'an f*cking c**t' and the head tried to excuse it as the boy is on the SEN register. I have taught the boy, he is intelligent and knows damn well what he's doing.

This week, my colleague was backed against her wall by a year 9 boy. He threw all her stuff off her desk, and grabbed her laptop and broke it. 3 members of SMT had to deal with it. He was excluded for ONE day. My HoD kciked up a fuss and it was extended to 5 days.

Things like this happen all the time where I work.
    A Y9 boy threatened to rape me last year. He got 2 hours close supervision.
    I've been sworn at so many times, and they only ever get close supervision. I wonder what would happen to me if I called a pupil 'a f*cking b*tch'.
    Of course, if a child swears or threatens SMT, then it's a different matter entirely.

13. "A Y9 boy threatened to rape me last year. He got 2 hours close supervision."

.... imagine if you had threatened to rape him. You would have committed the same crime ; don't think you'd have got 2 hours close supervision.

14. I can never understand why individuals dont call in police for these incidents, go above SMT and HT, and prosecute.

15. I was told to eff off the other day by a student! Suspension is on the cards apparently, but I fully imagine she'll be back tomorrow. It tough enough being a supply teacher without kids like these.

I also have a really naughty yr 8 asian boy who has threatened violence twice (you gonna get a smack after school etc) both reported to the office staff, and made motions as if he was going to punch me on friday (will be reported asap tomorrow) next time he says something ill write it down, and refer him to a permament member of staff for a good yelling at. Wont stop the naughty behavior (hes like it with everyone apparently) but hopefully the intimidation tactics will stop.

Why oh why did I decide to be a teacher!!!

16. I heard from a TA that a boy in my year had told her to eff off but that she felt a bit sorry for him because he had problems so didn't tell anyone.

That is part of the problem I think, some staff excuse it away.

(He is now being dealt with)

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

That's the problem, there will always be teachers who excuse behaviour like this, which is why schools seem to be in the mess they're in.

I didn't call the police because the school advised me not to. I was an NQT and was scared too. Don't know what the police would've done.
    If anything like that happens again, I will do something. My boyfriend is an ex police officer, and has friends who i'm sure would be happy to have a chat with anyone who treats me like that.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Slomo, here's why we don't tell police...

Many schools have us on temporary contracts; we need to pay the bills

Or, we wnat out of there and need a reference

Or the police do nothing- as the newpapers say this week, even sex attackers don't get sent to jail and they're over 21

Though you're right we should!!!!!!!!!