1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incident Books - Physical Interventions

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Newfiemum, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Newfiemum

Newfiemum New commenter

Hi All,

Just a bit of advice on some terminology! Incident reports, I am generally talking about those involving restraint, need to be recorded in a BOUND book. We have a LONG document to complete after each PI which details precursor to the interventions, what happened, reflections etc. At the moment, the school has all these forms bound together which makes it a nightmare to send copies to relevant stakeholders. There is also a book which just details the incidents, with a brief summary and a reference to the longer, more detailed documentation.

My understanding is that as long as there is a bound book with the incident recorded, the more detailed documentation linked to this could be in another place - a folder where pages can be added and removed as necessary. What do you think?

Thanks

Mary

(4 day old Headteacher!)

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It's a nightmare really. No-one trusts us to use unbound books in case we destroy evidence!

Who says is should be bound?

This is something I have been thinking about lately in terms of safeguarding/incident reporting/ behaviour books, etc.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm a governor at a secondary EBD (SEMH) residential special school and I asked exactly the same question, do we really have to keep bound books? It seemed positively 19th century! As a residential school we have to comply with the National Minimum Standards for Residential Schools as well as DFE education rules and that seemed to involve 3 different bound books into which essentially the same information had to be entered by hand after each incident. Nobody seemed to know exactly where the rule was that it had to be bound volumes - more a case of "that's how we've always done it".

It eventually turned out (after I'd asked the question at every governors' meeting for a year!) that there was no longer any requirement for bound books and we switched to using an electronic system that met the "rules".

I'm afraid I don't really know where the rules are or exactly what they say. Hopefully an expert will come by who can point you in the right direction. I have a recollection that to meet the "rules" any electronic record must show if any alterations have been made to the original entry, ie must show a full 'edit' history that the user cannot delete/suppress/hide from Ofsted.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

I know of a special school that uses a really nice bit of software for all their safeguarding, physical restraints and other bits of recordable data. All in one place and all easily analysed. I was impressed as it certainly seemed safer and more useful than an old ledger from the 19th century.

5. mohawkvic

mohawkvic New commenter

you can use behaviour watch to record all RPI and serious incidents (and minor ones). Its a system I set up in my old PRU. Be conscious you will need to spend a chunk of time setting it up to record exactly how you want it to and to ensure that it notifies the right people etc.
    Depending on what you need it for would depend how it would be set up. The bound and numbered book was always the bible, with numerous ring binders of the actual RPI forms in. Crazy system. Electronic much better. As long as you do actually read them as they will also record all edits and additions. Hope that helps.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Parallel issue to this: I've worked with a medical record system within a school MIS. Records are locked to the creator of the record, and are only editable for 1 hour before they are locked. This gives enough time to correct typos as the record is made, but prevents later amendments. Any change requires a separate entry. For instance, "dispensed 22 tabs 250mg paracetamol" could easily be entered with fat finger syndrome; when the practitioner spots the error at coffee break, a new record "for 22 tabs read 2 tabs 250mg paracetamol" must be entered rather than an amendment to the original.