1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incentives for smokers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by imblessed, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hello everyone and Happy New Year!
    I'm having some difficulty recruiting smokers to come into the laboratory for some simple tasks. Would anyone know what kind of incentives I could use to motivate them? Thank you for your suggestions.

2. Hello everyone and Happy New Year!
    I'm having some difficulty recruiting smokers to come into the laboratory for some simple tasks. Would anyone know what kind of incentives I could use to motivate them? Thank you for your suggestions.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

When I worked in a hospital, there was a smoking study funded by Imperial Tobacco. They had no shortage of volunteers... free fags. Nowadays though, such a study would be impossible to conduct given it required smoking in the workplace.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

take their fags off them?
    but seriously you are going to have to pay them very well because they know it is bad for them and they are going to be reluctant to have it spelled out. It is a natural defense against the reality of addiction.

5. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Money?
    As a student I took part in a cold study because I earned £200 for my time (something like six trips to the hospital for breathing and allergy tests, a cold virus poured up my nose (yes, yuck!) and keeping a diary of symptoms).
    Incidentally, does anyone know if it's true that med schools pay (£3000 was the figure banded about at my uni) to remove and then re-attach your little toe as practice for their surgery students? Apparently it's the only toe whose loss doesn't affect your walking/balance, which was why the rumour said the students were allowed at them.

6. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Give them a Beagle, they can walk the dog on the way to the clinic and share a ciggie at the same time.
    [​IMG]

7. Modelmaker and Chicabonita, thank you very much for your contributions [​IMG]

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I doubt it - wouldn't they just use corpses to practice on? (Those who donate themselves to medical science obviously). Seems a lot of money to pay someone as they are obviously going to needs one person per student...