1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Incensed and outraged

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chilliexx, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I can't remember a time when I was so cross at the subject of a TV programme as I was tonight. Mr c and I settled down to watch Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Fish Fight and I was angry at what I was seeing that I had to go into the kitchen to clear up dinner debris in order to calm down.
    Did anyone else see this and become really irate? I have signed the petition and written to my MP (something I haven't done before).

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

why what happened?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Was that Gordon Ramsay: Shark Bait?
    Absolutely shocking.

4. http://www.fishfight.net/

5. No not the Gordon Ramsey one. This is series about sustainable fishing and fishing quotas. The second one was about claims on supermarket tins about tuna caught in dolphin friendly ways.

6. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

See hugh's fish fight thread

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I've seen all of the programmes so far.
    The latest one in the Big Fish Fight series is the Gordon Ramsay programme. If you're incensed now, oh my - wait till you see this. You'll be fightable.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It is good to see that being objected to enthusiastically. It has always offended me. Wild rescource and all that. Quotas and capitalism don't really mix. So I signed up.
    Does anyone know what their solution is?

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I know what Mr M's is. He's a former North Sea fisherman.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Is this about the bycatch?
    It's always been like this - pisses me off that it's only fishy things they care about, not the ugly stuff like sponges, soft corals, sea cucumbers and other things that are often decimated and affect the ecosystem, the non-vertebrate bycatch can be far greater than 50%.
    ... and tuna bycatch can include dolphins.

11. http://www.projectaware.org/content/index.php?pid=230
    this one is about sharks

12. My Oh is a diver so the Project Aware thing is close to his heart.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Bottom trawling (with rockhoppers) is the culprit here, Mangle. It decimates the sea bed and the effects last for years.
    Purse seine netting is a much better (but less lucrative) way of fishing. And quotas are a complete waste of time. Why not simply limit the number of days a boat can fish per year?

14. I agree. I saw something on countryfile about it and I feel really bad for the fishermen.

15. Bottom trawling happens on this site as well.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

sidey, the govt needs to bite the bullet and introduce the same sort of subsidies they merrily dished out to farmers for years. The fishing industry is dying on it's **** - basically because there are too many boats and not enough fish.
    The solution is to let the fish stocks recover and the only way to do this is to pay the fishermen not to fish for a time (and change the way they fish). And it needs to be an EU wide policy.
    The quotas *** has been going on since Mr M started out as a 15 year old lad in 1986. He gave up the boats after 6 years, because he simply wasn't making any money (see the 'Fish Fight' thread on Cookery).

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Not the time, nor the place.

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'd watch out. harshie'll sue you for nicking his catchphrase.

19. How do you decide which days. You go out for a week and catch nothing but you've used up seven days of your quota...How do you keep a crew when you can only offer limited work? It's a cruel system. Paying for the decommissioning of boats has destroyed some towns and villages as very little was ever put into place to replace the fishing industries - fewer fish means less processing and other secondary jobs too.