1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inappropriate Comments from Students

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by charlene_bell, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I know this is a really silly post but bare with me. A couple of weeks ago a girl in my Year 10 class informed me that 2 boys in my class were making inappropriate comments about me during class. I reported this to the Head of Year and during seprate interviews the boys admitted the had been talking about my bum and said that I was attractive. The boys were both told that these discussions were unacceptable and that they were not to continue. Both boys apologised and I have heard nothing from them since.
    However yesterday and today when I have been walking around school a boy in Year 11 (who I don't teach) has started shouting comments at me such as "shake your ass" and "big bootie". I am a young teacher and fairly slim however I don't feel have done anything to warrant these comments and I am pretty upset about them.
    I don't dress provocatively, I am always either in trousers or long skirts with high neck tops. I don't wear make up or accessories in school. I have been at this school for 18months and only now am I recieving these comments.
    I know I should report this to the Head of Year but I am concerned that since this has happened twice in such a short space of time that I am some how encouraging this without realising. I don't want to draw attention to myself but I now don't want to leave my class.
    What do I do?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

1. Stop thinking you are encouraging it.
    2. Report it to the head of year.

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I don't think you are being silly at all. I think you are entitled to feel upset. Why not speak to the HoY again - he/she may decide it is time to speak about respect for adults in assembly, may be able to reassure you that you aren't doing anything wrong etc. Re your comment that it is only now after 18 months that you are getting these comments - unfortunately it may be that one of the boys put something about it on the dreaded Facebook - and that is why it is coming up again - NOT because you have started doing something wrong. I hope it doesn't get you down too much - and I hope you get support from the school in getting it resolved x

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't silly at all. It, rightly, makes you feel uncomfortable and so report it.

5. You are not silly and you are not responsible. Report the behaviour - is is wrong. If the school seem to be doing nothing about it contact your union. This is for your safety as much as sopping inappropriate behaviour.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It is inappropriate and wrong and you should report it, but while not intending to be flippant heck it's been a while since someone (preferably not a student) has shouted such things at me :(

7. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Clearly inappropriate, it could be worse rather than being attractive you could be bald! I not only getting inappropriate comments but also touching and rubbing my head at times.

8. johnblack - that did make me laugh!

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I get kids constantly trying to high-five me, knowing I can't reach :(

OP - the story of the boys being disciplined for their remarks has obviously got out somehow and someone else has decided that they will do the same thing and get away with it. If you know the name of the boy who shouted to you then certainly report it.

I sometimes have (less flattering) comments shouted at me and always report it - if I know the name of the offender. It needs to be nipped in the bud.

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I agree - I would report it! The other day a Year 9 male student asked me if I starred in **** movies. I sent boy out of my class and reported him straight away. He was externally excluded for a few days! Lesson learnt by all the boys!

11. this behaviour would not be tolerated in the work place. They need to learn the seriousness of making sexually inappropriate comments before it means they are losing their job and prospects. Sexual harrassment is what this is and should never be tolerated even if it doesn't bother you personally that much.