1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inadequate teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by gillmay, May 30, 2011.

1. One of my department has been graded inadequate by OFSTED. My head wants me to put a support plan together for this teacher but I can't find any information about them. Has anyone had to do this and if so where can I find information.

2. One of my department has been graded inadequate by OFSTED. My head wants me to put a support plan together for this teacher but I can't find any information about them. Has anyone had to do this and if so where can I find information.

3. I assume this is the support stage before the review to decide if a certain process is required? Would you usually give the teacher another chance or two to provide a broader view of practice? What you need to do is read the Maximising Attendance Policy. This tells you to meet the teacher & discuss the areas which need to be developed. You need to ask if there are any reasons eg health which may call for possible alterations eg workload to be considered. You need to give a time limit before the review & they need to know all possible outcomes. The support needs to be mapped out and resourced with dates and times. Time limits are in the policy. Any format ok but keep it simple. During the support, discuss what has been on offer and agree any adjustments. Sounds a straight forward business and great for the teacher and their class if they are willing to accept the Ofsted judgement and rise to the challenge of improving. Tip: try & protect all the planned support and make sure it happens. Helpful?

4. WRONG POLICY - capability policy- how confusing

5. Or not eaching kids if there is a problem!

6. that would be teaching, I'm not sure what eaching is!

7. "eaching" is what happens in schools that pay too much attention to Ofsted. As opposed to "teaching" which is done when Ofsted are told to stick it up their jumpers.

8. Much as I respect your sentiment the realality is don't play the game go into spevcial measures, then all sorts of idiots arrive telling you exactly what to do. Having spent some time in the company of a group of Local and National leaders the other week, you really don't want them anywhere near you......Especially one of Wiltshire's....god, talk about lace curtains and nothing in the larder!!!!!

9. I was quite surprised that Ofsted gave a teaching grade to the original post school. They weren't doing that a year ago (before election) and would refuse saying things like it was an holistic view of teaching they were after and would not get tangled up in individual grades. Maybe part of the master plan!

10. In my experience they have always told the head where the strengths and weakness was observed. A friend was advised by one team to take urgent action re one teacher. This info is never placed within the report directly. Buy is always placed between the lines

11. Different experiences I guess. I have always found Ofsted to be deeply inconsistent in their judgements from one inspector to another and even from one HMI visit to the next. Sometimes it can depend on the school they've visited before you, other times just a whim. Many refuse to justify their judgements even if you have insisted on observing with them. Pompous, out of date and full of it in my view after much experience, particularly HMI variety. Infuriating.

12. It would be useful to have more detail about the context of this teacher receiving an inadequate Ofsted grade. I presume it is a headteacher who has posted the original question. There is quite a lot that is worrying about this thread.
    First of all, Ofsted doesn't visit a school to decide if teachers are inadequate. It is the job of the headteacher to ensure that there is a correct review and support cycle operating for monitoring the quality of teaching in the school. If Ofsted grade one lesson as inadequate this doesn't condemn a teacher. Any lesson observation gradings fed back to the headteacher are in the context of the broader evidence shared with the headteacher about standards.
    One lesson observation is a sample. It may not be representative of the quality of any teacher's lessons over a period of time. It is for the headteacher to place this sample grading into the context of the observations that the school itself should carry out. If the school has no other evidence that this teacher is performing to an inadequate standard then it is in a weak position in regard to following Capability procedures. In fact it says something about the adequacy of leadership if this important process is being so casually instigated.
    However, I am guessing that in this case there is additional evidence of continuing underperformance by the teacher, in which case this Ofsted lesson observation judgement would simply be added to the evidence base.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What's your view of the teacher? Have you observed them? Looked at their work? Where's your evidence to support this judgement?

14. I was starting to lose faith in my profession reading these posts until I read the last two.
    I have worked in three schools. The second was so anti Ofsted it had practically stopped its own efforts to develop self-evaluation. It had a satisfactory judgement and the head spent months trying to challenge it rather than get on and improve things. I was glad to leave for a post in a school which did the opposite. They had an inspection report that was less flattering than they wanted but they worked really hard on developing their own school improvement systems. When we were inspected again we had nothing but praise for what we were doing.

It is a waste of time complaining about Ofsted unless they have done a bad job in your school. It is also silly to worry about an individual lesson grade. Every school should be grading lessons all the time. Every teacher should know what makes a good lesson. If a headteacher is thinking of starting capability against a teacher for getting an inadequate grading then I would have to ask them what other evidence they have. If this teacher really is bad then why are they relying on an inspection to do something about it?

15. The original post provider wanted some quick points on the informal capability process. As often happens in this forum , a simple question leads to unnecessary criticism and various pointless point scoring and scoffing. Why accept anything a government offers without question? Why not allow others to express views and opinions freely and why not avoid judgement?

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

yes bu tthe problem might be the teacher is unaware of such actions being taken.i had a head who marched in after an ofsted and demanded I leave as i had scored poorly in a lesson.Before that I had never had a bad mark or observation..then it became a vindictive exercise when i refused to leave instantly....mind you the head was a total w+++++er>
    We all have bad days , but i cant see why the head cant do his own work and not ask an underling to do it!

17. That's true, although can be handy to tell dep head that it's good for his NPQH to deal with tricky situations some days. He subtly gets his own back mind you!

18. I take your point Juliamac but I have to say that when we had an inadequate judgement against one of our teachers it was made quite clear to us that we had no choice but to quickly implement a support plan along the lines of capability. What was worse was that the teacher involved was actually very popular and very good, we ended up losing them because they couldn't cope with whole process. It was awful and regrettable but Ofsted don't actually give you a choice. Contrary to popular opinion it is actually worse for us in the private sector because we don't get special measures, we just get closed and although one wants to support individual teachers there has to be a realisation that actually I am responsible for the mortgage payments of all the staff and then of course there is the educationof the kids. It is horrible when this happens, and the will to support teachers is there, but sometimes the legs are kicked out from under you.

19. Perhaps here is an area which unites us across the different sectors. It is very hard to deal with capability issues. I have had to deal with it reluctantly in the past and have been asked to support other Heads struggling with it. I don't think the new governments' changes to the process change anything. Teaching is a personal heartfelt business.

20. Ofsted will be very interested in how a school reacts if they present evidence to the head to show that one of their observations was graded as inadequate. But this is much more about exploring the judgement on leadership.
    First of all, is the head surprised? Do they say "That's odd because all the other standardised observations that we have done with this teacher have been graded a good"? Do they jump in and say "We have been waiting for an official view because we have known for years that this teacher is no good"? What do these replies tell you about the quality of leadership.

Juliamac is spot on in making the point that one observation graded as inadequate should not immediately equates to putting that teacher on the first stage of a capability procedure. The person who replied that they had no choice is possibly displaying poor leadership by not having other evidence to place this single judgment against, or not knowing or responding to the situation previously - if there is a weakness to be tackled. They might also be seen to be not supporting their staff 1. by accepting and responding to one, possibly, untypical observation, and 2, not having a staff support programme that responds to development needs and can place that one observation in a broader context.
    It is not uncommon for teachers who do fall into the category of indequate to go without support that might lead to dismissal if the teacher can't benefit from it. Many heads find this one of the most difficult aspects of their role. But leaving it to Ofsted to find out the problem and then using this as the trigger to launch into capability, is not how good leaders manage their staff.
    You do have a choice. That is what leaders are paid for.