1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inadequate school

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jenkibubble, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble New commenter

Viewed a school that has a post in a year I like, but school is inadequate and is a 1 form entry. When I was shown around the member of staff was very honest and said class are tricky (1 is in process of EHCP plan etc) but what they need is stability etc.

Do I go for it? - part of me thinks support will be good (CPD, LA help etc and the HT is an executive head, based at another school which is rated as good) , the other part of me worries that it could tip me over the edge (had history of anxiety/depression etc , although hypnotherapy has helped LOADS)

Any advice/experience etc ?

I'm not an NQT, so have a few years behind me!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Is this 'requires improvement' or 'special measures'? Being in either of these categories is not necessarily a bad situation for staff. It will mean that they will need to go through significant changes and this will put pressure on everyone. More systems, more observations, more scrutiny as well as more support and resources etc.
    I would say that if you have confidence in the school's leaders, particularly the executive head, then go for it. Unless you know someone already at the school, it can be hard to know what the experience will be like.

Pomz and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble New commenter

It's Inadequate, which means special measures I believe. I supplied at the school a few years ago and liked it (although it was good then )
    Thanks for the advice -I think I will apply !

4. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Managing this should be your priority, what are your triggers?

Do you enjoy working with "tricky" classes and one or two very difficult children? Do you prefer to teach your own way or are you happy to go along with whatever practice changes are being introduced as part of the route out of special measures, even if they oppose your philosophy? Is your mental wellbeing disturbed by extremely regular accountability checks - observations, learning walks, book scrutinies, PPMs etc? Are you strong in the face of parents who feel empowered to attack you because the school you work in has been judged inadequate? Are you affected by colleagues with low morale?

In my experience, the impression given by heads when trying to recruit is not a measure of what they are like to work for.

A school in special measures is not an easy working environment, but it is one which works for a certain type of person who is energised by adversity and thrives in a micromanaged environment. Know thyself.

Pomz and Jenkibubble like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wouldn't do it in a million years, way too much pressure and scrutiny.

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  6. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Could mean HUGE workload in marking, assessment etc

7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

It will mean huge amounts of pressure, stress and scrutiny. Mostly likely will also include lots of new initiatives too and staff. I would stay well away... The constant anticipation of ofsted coming again and the pressure to improve results will be significant.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This may mean the head is somewhere else whenever you need them.

This must be top of your list.

This is also a key thing - it could, as others have said be a brilliant environment for developing your teaching skills in a supportive environment but....

You need to consider
    and

Tinycat1234 likes this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

SM schools can be a great career springboard. There will be additional scrutiny, but this provides legitimately strong teachers a chance to standout and make real progress very quickly - Particularly as I assume the school has been subject to an academisation order.

However, if you are worried about behaviour management or do not get a good 'feeling' about local leadership, it could become a bit of a nightmare. Proceed with caution...

les25paul and secretteacher2357 like this.
  10. Antinko

Antinko New commenter

If you have doubts that, if you moved, could impact your health significantly, I'd hold back for now and keep an eye open for other opportunities.

11. thyr

thyr New commenter

Schools can be in SM for variety of reasons: poor leadership, poor results, poor teaching.
    If the SMT is strong and teachng staff good / strong / supportive it can be a very good experience. You learn a lot about teaching and pupils often appreciate someone who will teach them. On the other hand - classes can be difficult for lots of reasons (often outside school control) and you have to get used to a lot of "observations".
    Given the right management & a strong supportive staff - i'd say go for it.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

From what you have said I would stop and think about it for a bit - and then turn them down.

The fact they have a HT who is often elsewhere would IMMEDIATELY start alarm bells ringing.

galerider123 likes this.
  13. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Just to offer the alternative viewpoint. I am working in a SM school and have always chosen school improvement as my preference. I'm a huge T&L enthusiast and I love shaking things up in the classroom. Our students were poorly behaved at times, but this was largely due to boredom through poor teaching. I love it mainly as I love seeing the changes and how that affects the children by improving outcomes.
    You just need to snag a brilliant mentor.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL My head would say I do this too!

15. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

I am working in a category 4 "serious weakness" school and I'm loving it. The HT is always on the lookout for someone with the skills and drive to make positive changes and has resulted in some rather exciting promotions for some of us.
    My previous school was outstanding and anyone hoping for any kind of career progression pretty much had to wait years to step into "dead man's shoes" as no-one wanted to leave and the HT wanted to retain good middle and senior leaders.
    I ha e only been st this school a short while but have already briefed Ofsted on progress in my area and set up a new department pretty much from scratch. I wouldn't move to a "better" school if you tripled my salary.

j_pink likes this.