1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inadequate rating

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Orchid2457, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Orchid2457

Orchid2457 New commenter

Good afternoon,
    How long can a school stay in the ‘inadequate’ category for? What steps would be taken if there’s been little improvement since the last inspection? Thank you.

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Academisation or closure.

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I know of a school/academy that has been inadequate since 2010 when gove made it into an academy

lardylegs likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Forever! If it's not an academy it will be turned into one but if it's already one the situation could just drag on and on.

lardylegs likes this.
  5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Sometimes if it's academised and still doesn't improve, it can be taken over by a new academy chain but that's about it.

lardylegs likes this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Until it gets better...

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When I worked in a school which went into SM, we had one of the 'head HMIs and he said that he thought it wasn't that bad, but the shortest time we could realistically expect to come out was probably after 3 inspections and he change the category of the last one, even when it had started.

However I think if there's no improvement after 3 inspections, yes academisation is possibly on the cards. Though that's finally been seen not to be 'the cure-al' it was once thought to be.

and some schools seem never to come out of SM.:(

8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Review of the school senior leadership team (Headteacher and Deputy Head) as well as academisation.
    I know of a school about 15 years ago that scored inadequate twice on their OFSTED inspection and the HT and DHT were suspended and around 10 staff members resigned and went off sick. Fair to say, the HT and DHT did not return also.

lardylegs likes this.