1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Inadequate Ofsted, now on Capability Procedure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jeepers creepers, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Having been a teacher for about ten years my lesson observations have rarely been less than good. I also got a good in an Ofsted inspection a few years back. Last month Ofsted visited our school and I was given ... unsatisfactory. I know why - it couldn't have been a worse class or a worse time - Friday afternoon, bottom set Year 9s. Their behaviour left a lot to be desired.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after Ofsted the head came to see me to say he was putting me on capability! He said it was informal, and that he'll pop into some lessons over the next few weeks and if they're satisfactory or above I'll be off capability. I've been given this in writing, along with some half-***** targets.

To top it all off, my HOD hasn't spoken to me since the Unsatisfactory Ofsted judgement.

Should I be worried? And is it normal for teachers to be put on capability after one unsatisfactory lesson?

2. Having been a teacher for about ten years my lesson observations have rarely been less than good. I also got a good in an Ofsted inspection a few years back. Last month Ofsted visited our school and I was given ... unsatisfactory. I know why - it couldn't have been a worse class or a worse time - Friday afternoon, bottom set Year 9s. Their behaviour left a lot to be desired.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after Ofsted the head came to see me to say he was putting me on capability! He said it was informal, and that he'll pop into some lessons over the next few weeks and if they're satisfactory or above I'll be off capability. I've been given this in writing, along with some half-***** targets.

To top it all off, my HOD hasn't spoken to me since the Unsatisfactory Ofsted judgement.

Should I be worried? And is it normal for teachers to be put on capability after one unsatisfactory lesson?

3. LimboBimbo

LimboBimbo New commenter

Hello Jeepers creepers,
    What a bad start to a weekend, I really feel for you. I'm not going to be much help, but I'd advise you to contact your union if you haven't already, and scour the workplace dilemmas in search of a thread with people in a similar situation to yours. They're fairly recent, and I'd link them if I had the knowhow.
    Best of luck, and keep us informed, there's lots of wise ones on here and those who've been through this harrowing process who I am sure will give lots of sage advice on their experiences.
    LB xx

4. Well a Head can do 'drop ins' whenever they want. As for capability, your school will not have a leg to stand on if it is just that one lesson. Just ensure your books are up to date, planning etc.give the school no chances. Your HOD should be supporting you but instead wimping out by sounds of it.
    You say in ten years, mainly good lessons, do what you have been doing. Plus agree with other post speak to Union.

5. The school must put in place support for you before they put you in monitoring.
    Capability procedures are formal and must involve LA - this is after support first , informal monitoring second .
    All the best

6. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I wouldn't be worried about the conversation with your HT. He is following up on what OFSTED fed back to him, as you would expect him to. It's a bit dramatic to call it "informal capability", although he *does* need to create a paper trail in case it does become a formal procedure. Assuming that the outcome is satisfactory or above, there is no consequence for your performance management, reference or any other aspect of your career.
    If you are deemed unsatisfactory overall, there is then a period of informal support (again, no 'legal' consequences). This again will create more paper as the school will need to show that they have supported you if they ever wish to move to
    Formal capability ... which is the scary one - meet these targets or you are out.
    What does worry me is the rather childish attitude of your HoD, and how long it might take for him/her to get over it! I would say that would be more of an issue for you in the immediate future than the HT popping in a few times.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

As someone who, to my surprise, had a 'good' result in a HMI inspection, for a lesson where I had 12 loonies running about the room for most of it, this startles me. I did query the result of that lesson observation at the time and was told that as I adhered to school policy and endeavoured to use a variety of strategies to get the pupils back on task (um sat down) I had succeeded in my role.

I would therefore suggest that you play 'proactive' yourself here.... Let the school attempt to excuse themselves and your HoD duck the bullets for being unsupportive.... Meanwhile find yourself a nice course of behavioural management or similar, preferably one in a posh hotel that serves a decent lunch and toddle along to your head and suggest that you would really like to attend this as you feel it would help you improve your capacity to handle a bottom set year 9 class last lesson on a Friday in the future :)

8. Perhaps the head has not spoken to you because they are surprised because you are so good, and they are taking time to prepare what they are going to do?

9. UPDATE

Well, my head popped into a few lessons (for less than ten minutes), and last week I got a letter saying that my lessons were at least satisfactory and so the matter is being dropped. My HOD is speaking to me again, and he simply said, "Well, they had to be seen to be doing something if you got an unsatisfactory Ofsted."

It's all very well, but my health had suffered and I feel that I have lost trust in the management of our school.

10. I am very pleased for you that the matter has been dropped and that your capability is no longer in question. Dropping the matter is no consolation for the stress, I know, but at least you can carry on without this unfair judgement of your capability hanging over you in the holidays.

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Word to the wise-a copy of this letter will have been placed on file and can remain there for a year. Make sure that it is removed next year.
    Also, I would have a chat with your union rep-district, not school, just to keep them in the loop, just in case this reappears at some time. No way am I trying to cause you stress, God forbid, but I'm a great believer in back-covering!! [​IMG]