1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Inadequate headteacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BrainJim, May 31, 2011.

1. Many of my colleagues feel that the head is inadequate. How can we commence proceedings against him or will this have to be done by his pals on the governing body?

2. Some thoughts but not judgements. How did your Head get the job if that bad and how comes you say many but not all colleagues are not happy? Are there favourites? Why is this if so? If this is a serious issue, use the grievance procedure. Each person who has a grievance will need to write to Chair of gov's separately and be prepared to back up complaints with actual evidence. Being a bit peed off as there is a lot of change isn't enough but a serious incident should be reported. Being open to new ideas and trying to be helpful may be a way forward too. If this is a new Head you may have no idea what they have unearthed. Your colleagues who are unhappy may need to improve, you never know what goes on in other classrooms. Ganging up anonimously is cowardly and lacks substance in terms of evidence. You need to act individually and professionally in confidence without discussing individual issues. Be careful as people say one thing to your face but may back away when action is suggested. A new Head can't be used as a scapegoat if things have got a bit rusty equally. Also, could be perceived as bullying. I don't know your situation so wouldn't judge but have listed some scenarios which do happen. Didn't you know that the grievance policy exists? Read it. If you are seriously worried about conduct you need to get cracking.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I wonder if you are able to take an objective view of what is happening in your school when you are so firmly biased against the Head.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

The "Peter Principle", that everyone in an organisation rises up the hierarchy until they reach the level of their own incompetence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some, of course, reach it on MPS1.

6. and certainly L1