1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In your school days, did you prefer primary or secondary school?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fenty, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Similar story - we moved around a fair bit so I attended a number of primary schools - but I loved them all! I did like some aspects of secondary school, but was agonisingly self-conscious and found the whole thing intimidating. Interestingly, almost all of the 16 - 19s I work with now say they liked primary because it felt like 'family' and like their teacher knew them and cared about them, but absolutley hated secondary because it felt more impersonal and as though they as individuals didn't matter (most are somewhat challenging & disaffected; my sympathies are torn!).

2. Primary was much better! I felt like the work wasn't challenging for the first few years of secondary school, whereas I was pushed in primary school.
    I also struggled socially moving from a small, caring primary of 100 kids to a massive secondary. Big shock to the system.
    Although I was good at passing exams I couldn't wait to leave secondary.
    I loved college though - I preferred to be treated as more of an adult, and the social scene was much better than school!
    Have most people ended up teaching in the type of school they preferred? I'm in primary.

3. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

Loved Primary. Happy with my friends and always in the top three in exams - we had them every year and sat in our ranking order in class. It was a small primary anyway with lovely teachers (apart from one very, very scary one) and there were only six classes. I couldn't get in there until I was six!
    Then came the 11 plus which only three of us passed and every single one of my friends failed.
    I went to Grammar School and knew nobody in my class (the other two girls were put in the other class). I found it really hard and hated it. It was a terrible culture shock because, as I realised later, my little primary school really hadn't covered enough work and I was dropped well and truly in the deep end. Maths became like a foreign language to me and there wasn't any time for those who struggled to keep up with the girls who would eventually go to Oxford/Cambridge.
    I got enough O and A levels in the end but I always felt utterly thick - hated it [​IMG]

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I much preferred Secondary. I hated the social side of Primary school, and as a porky child, I was teased a lot. PE was a nightmare all the way through Juniors. Then I went to a Grammar school and loved it. The lessons were challenging, discipline was excellent, and I wasn't the only fatty in my class!

5. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I preferred Primary. Secondary was a horrendous experience.

6. I loved learning - but I hated being in school.
    If I had to choose - Primary possibly was more tolerable than Secondary. Secondary was just a b.iatchy place.
    Loved uni [​IMG]
    Schools would be great if they were not full of people who are thrown together with little choice about the matter and don't actually really like one another [​IMG]

7. Preferred secondary. In both I was never popular but at secondary had a bigger group of people. Overall though I would throw in sixth form - that was my favourite time as I gained more confidence and was less worried what people though.
    Primary I spent a lot of time crying and I am not sure why. In some ways i'd like to ask my mum if she can explain it, but then i'm not sure I want the past dragged up. It has made me wonder at times whether I did have some kind of SEN.

8. Middle school and it's still going 30 years later :)