1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In your opinion, which of these two is the better learning environment?...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, May 12, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

both options sound like classes far too big for 5 year olds

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The best case would be the former split into 2 classes of 18-20 children with one teacher. If there is enough accommodation I guess they could adopt this as a default anyway.

3. Unfortunately BS, your idea isn't an option. I do agree it would be far better though!

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I'm with Giraffe. Although, at a push I'd rather haev 1 teacher. My sister has just broken her heart over this one...
    At my last school, the YR and Y1 teachers ran it as a three room 'unit', where the children circulated for lit, num and play... (I think that was how they did it, anyway...)

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If my idea isn't an option then I would go with 1 teacher and a smaller group.

6. Interesting. Thank you all for the replies so far.

7. So why not two classes of 20 with a teacher each?

8. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

as a Reception teacher myself, I'd also opt for the smaller class. Is there only the option of TA support with the bigger class?

9. Och, I wish, airy. Basically the situation is that my daughter has been turned down for a P1 place at our chosen (out of catchment) primary school, despite her big sister already being there.
    The school is very popular and oversubscribed. They are going to do option 1 as outlined above, and have the large class with 2 teachers and a TA. It's the only way they can offer all the catchment kids a place. There may be a couple of spaces left over for those with siblings at the school.
    I will appeal, as tartette has done really well at the wee nursery there (most primary schools in Scotland have a pre-school attached) and has some good friends. Mr Tarte isn't at all keen on this big class option and would sooner look at other options.
    The school itself is pretty small and the Victorian building, which is already at full capacity, simply cannot accommodate an extra classroom. There just isn't the space. There is however one roomy classroom that can hold 40 children...
    So that was my reason for asking, folks. I thought that you might reason that the extra teacher and TA would compensate for having such a big P1 class.
    I too had my doubts!
    Thanks for the food for thought. I knew it would be good to run this by you.

10. Option 2 was just for comparison sake, by the way!
    Hope the above is clear. I'm shattered tonight, my contacts are now sticking to my eyes and I'm fed up obsessing over this. It's been a long day!

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

NUT advice:

800x600

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

A maximum class size of
    23 in classes consisting wholly or partly of children in their first year of
    infant education;

A maximum class size of 20 in respect of
    nursery classes which should be staffed on the basis of 2 adults (one qualified
    teacher and one nursery nurse) per 20 children;

12. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

A maximum class size of 23 in classes consisting wholly or partly of children in their first year of infant education.
    A maximum class size of 20 in respect of nursery classes which should be staffed on the basis of 2 adults (one qualified teacher and one nursery nurse) per 20 children.

13. That's the ideal, but it just isn't going to happen.

14. Thank you for the info though [​IMG]

15. I know just the kind of building you mean - I probably went to school in a building just like it. I would think about the school overall, the relationship between the teachers who will be teaching it and how they plan to run the classroom. If it's done well, the improved teacher/pupil ratio should make a difference but if done badly kids will get lost in the crowd. Sorry - that's not much help.

16. No, I think you're right.
    Also, all it takes is for one pupil to be unruly and then all 40 kids are disrupted!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm assuming you're talking about a P1 class in Scotland in which case the class size maxima is 25 - and that is statutory:
    (c)after paragraph (4) insert—“(5) In respect of the school year beginning in 2011 and each subsequent school year, in relation to a Primary 1 class, the limit on the number of pupils imposed in paragraphs (1) and (2) shall be 25.”.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2010/326/made?view=plain
    I've heard the 36-40:2 mooted but, in my opinion, it's lunacy.
    But then there's a lot of lunacy being put about in Scottish education at the moment.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've no idea how I missed the fact that there were several responses already on the thread.

19. It's definitely not happening in this case, seren. There must be some loophole somewhere, especially if not all catchment kids can get a place.