1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In your 50s and still teaching?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Jun 8, 2020.

1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

What motivates you?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sharing knowledge and learning from others, meeting different people, getting to find out something about their personalities, interests, values and culture, structure to the days and of course it pays bills.

What motivates you?

sebedina, phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Money.

sebedina, Ezzie, Flanks and 1 other person like this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Teaching keeps me young at heart. I love the buzz of talking to students, discovering new ways of getting information across, problem solving, it's addictive.

sebedina, tb9605, donrickles and 3 others like this.
  5. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Managed it until 56 and a half. Then I found myself sitting in the carpark, not wanting to go in. That was it. The End.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me it was the mixing with youngsters, who have such a naively positive take on life and certainly keeps one on one's toes and 'young'.
    And yes watching their personalities develop , knowing that one may have a hand in how they turn out in the future.

ACOYEAR8, Jamvic, tb9605 and 5 others like this.
  7. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

It motivates me that I am doing something useful in society. The challenges keep me (reasonably) sharp.
    The real issue is not being in one's fifties but that schools do not value older teachers. Unions will tell you that older teachers who've got good results for over a decade, as they become expensive, are over represented in capability actions. Heads - perhaps understandably given budget constraints - ruthlessly seek out NQTs. Younger teachers forget that they'll get to 50+ someday. Whatever you do, don't give up a good permanent post as you get older as it is nearly impossible to get back on the scale you left at. Keep going though! How many jobs can change the lives of young people in the way teaching can?

8. br0wnsugar

Most of what you've outlined - also supporting colleagues, teaching generations of students from the same families, the relationships with colleagues who care BUT once on UPS you're a target at some schools..that can be demotivating especially when you are overlooked in favour of younger and more malleable models.

donrickles and needabreak like this.
  9. br0wnsugar

This made me laugh!! Thank you. Short and directly sweet.;)

sebedina and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. br0wnsugar

Yes, I did/still do in the main but I am also mindful of the age difference between not only the new staff but also year 7s - so young and have a perspective and interests I am far distant from.

donrickles, ACOYEAR8 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. br0wnsugar

I think that's what's happened to me. I have lost the passion so I started this thread to see what others felt. What the current teaching from home has shown me that going back into the classroom is NOT what I want anymore.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Jamvic, phatsals, Catgirl1964 and 2 others like this.
  12. br0wnsugar

I agree. Teaching is wonderful. However, if the passion has gone, due to a number of factors, then I don't think staying just because 'you won't find another job with the same pay' is a good enough reason to stay. I have considered moving on/having a break from main stream for at least 4 years and right now is the time to move on..regardless of pay. Okay I have no major outgoings and grown up children fending for themselves. However, I also think quality of life is important. I think you've nailed it. It isn't the age as such but it is how you are treated when you get to an age and pay stage that schools look more closely at. And most definitely undervalued for what you have contributed and how you can help be more of an asset but I guess, there are a number of insecure middle and senior leaders out there. This, perhaps is the real issue.

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed, can't argue with that. It's so transparent and common you'd think the HT's would be embarrassed to follow the same process that we all know about.

14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In my late 40s, I felt the stress of teaching, coupled with changes at work resulting from an amalgamation with another school.
    Then life threatening illness came along, with a year to reflect on life, values and all the rest of it.
    When I recovered, I realised that teaching was "what I did".
    After the joy of recovery and a real welcome back, came the slow realisation that Phlogiston wasn't the science teacher they wanted any more.
    That was a bit of a soul searching moment. It turned out there were several other science teachers they didn't want either.
    After a bit of sniffing around, I took a not quite full time post with a charity, working with kids who have slipped through the cracks. All sorts of special needs and learning difficulties, but 5 years on, they (management and children) still like me, and I still enjoy the challenges of working with kids who can't hack mainstream.
    I'm now no longer in my 50s. I don't have any plans for retirement. Working from home during lockdown is oddly unsettling, especially as most of my social life has stopped.
    For someone with ASD traits, I quite like working with people.

agathamorse, jonnymarr and needabreak like this.
  15. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

My pension needs

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. petitebabe

petitebabe New commenter

Hello

Enjoyed reading your post ……. well you know what I mean. Very similar to myself...… Early 50's etc. Hate this lockdown, etc

17. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

I also have ASD traits, but suit teaching, although at times some people misunderstand me as quirky etc. I was UPS3 top TLR when the sycophants came hunting with their lies and underhand tactics. l left with a payout mid 40 took time to reflect and now do Supply.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

Your lucky to have a pension some of us have lost that perk.

19. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

This job can seriously damage your health. Leaving perm can seriously damage your bank balance.

angrypixie likes this.
  20. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

Personally I love the wonderful opportunities that teaching presents for you !
    and wave at them as they pass by.

I enjoy the social interaction with some of the characters.

I enjoy playing buzz word bingo with younger SLT.

What I miss is a decent dinner hour where you can leave school and have a beer.

CathF70 and agathamorse like this.