1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"in trouble" at my present school

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by computer2000, Nov 9, 2015.

1. computer2000

computer2000 New commenter

Last year was a very hard year for me...I tried to go for some jobs but was not successful. The head is not happy with me (I think because I look for opportunities). Also, he is now saying that he is not happy with my teaching. I have been closely monitored and have given feedback what I need to improve etc. I am trying very hard and personally I have no doubt in my teaching skills. I have found an ad which would be an amazing step forward for me, but I am worried and scared to apply due to "I am in trouble" situation at my present school...

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that you are in this tricky position.

But if we are going to look at this logically, your Head might be pleased if you left and he had the chance to bring in someone new, while you had the chance of a fresh start.

So, STEP 1: Come over to JobSeekers forum and ask about the applications advice

STEP 2 read this:

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

Best wishes

3. computer2000

computer2000 New commenter

Thank you Theo. I am frightened that 1. My Head will stipulate capability process or something to limit me 2. write a bad reference?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But why on earth would the Head try to limit you?

And as for the reference, a Head - or any referee - has to abide by the legalities here.

The legal requirement is for a reference to be fair and factually accurate. If, because of negligent misstatement (inclusion of inaccurate or omission of important information), you suffer detriment (loss), you may claim damages.

Most HoDs and Headteachers are very careful to be totally factual and balanced in their references.
    Because if they aren't, either the candidate or the other school could get back at them.

Read this:

Can your Head write a negative reference for you? Or refuse to write one? Can you see what was written...

Best wishes

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is becoming more and more apparent that there is a certain number of inappropriately employed people in education at higher levels, wreaking havoc. Unhinged, almost.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But if the Head is unhappy with the colleague, why on earth would s/he make it difficult for him or her to move on, @Scintillant ?

S/he should be doing everything possible to push him or her out the front door! Anything else would be illogical.

Best wishes

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Has your Head mentioned 'support plan'? Or 'internal appraisal'?

Make sure you keep records of all contact between you, your line manager and SLT. If necessary record conversations [I doubt it'd be legally admissible but it will give you something to refer to]

Sound out colleagues and find out if anyone else is being treated the same.

What you say rings a bell with me. I spent a lot of time seeking alternative employment to no avail. In one discussion my Head expressed his dislike for what he perceived as my insecurity in post. Not sure if that played a role in subsequent events but looking back... I think it may have.

8. a_muse

a_muse New commenter

9. a_muse

a_muse New commenter

So @TheoGriff a good reference may in fact be given even if/especially if they have it in for you? to ensure you successfully leave, I mean.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It may be, but it shouldn't.

A reference must be fair and factually accurate.

Best wishes

11. a_muse

a_muse New commenter

12. a_muse

a_muse New commenter

Thanks @TheoGriff You give the best advice. More people should listen to you...including me.
    Best wishes to you too :D

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter