1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In-Tray Exercise

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by lilly123, May 6, 2019.

1. lilly123

lilly123 New commenter

I’m after some advice from Headteachers on In-Tray exercises for a Head of Department or SLT role. This is the part of the process that I find most challenging.

Could you offer advice on how you would expect candidates to prioritise on the scenario they provide. So, should I prioritise a Safeguarding issue first then a response to a parental complaint?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I’m not a headteacher nor ever will be but as I understand it safeguarding ALWAYS come first.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm not a HT either, I'm a class teacher, but surely safeguarding is top priority.

4. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Safeguarding is number one always.
    Then look at what can be delegated to someone else e.g. if it is leading an assembly, meeting a parent ask the DHT to do it.
    Then look at what can be done later.

5. lilly123

lilly123 New commenter

Thank you all! This is great advice.

nomad likes this.
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Noting that some things can move quadrants over time.

nomad likes this.
  7. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Prioritise the immediate safeguarding/Health & Safety. Which ones could cause harm? Safeguarding is conventionally top of the list, but getting someone to deal with the kids swinging on the loose drainpipe may come before an unexplained bruise which you can speak to the child about later in the day (and, clearly, as soon as possible) as there's more risk of immediate danger in the first.

Beyond that, the order doesn't matter too much. It looks at your values. Do you phone the parent demanding to speak to you now before consoling the student (or teacher) who's locked themselves in the loo? It also explores your justifications. Try not to approach it based on e.g. parents first after safeguarding (which your post seems to imply), approach it based on who has the most urgent problem, and explain your thinking clearly. A clever one might have a hidden danger (the teacher who hasn't turned up ... do you realise that there's a class unattended before you phone the supply agency).

becky70 likes this.