1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In-Tray exercise & Interview Questions for the role of Internal Exclusions Co-Coordinator

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ci2, Oct 22, 2019.

1. ci2

ci2 New commenter

Hi, I just had a email saying that I am chosen to have an interview to be the Internal Exclusions Co-Coordinator in my local secondary school. They have said that they will be doing a in-tray exercise and interview. Can someone please tell me what sort of scenarios that they will normally ask and what interview questions that they would normally ask also?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

If I were appointing I would want to know how you would tackle some of the following ? Policy - exit - entry criteria. Staffing levels. Work / tasks ( quality / validity / relevance ) completed set / marked / feedback. Integration/ reintegration back into mainstream classrooms. Accommodation / facilities . Communication with staff / parents / paraprofessionals. Success criteria. Key Stage / mixed year groups ? Break / lunchtime / arrangements. Hierarchy in sanctions. Rules and reponsibilities.Reporting role/how effective provision is to the LT / Governors. Ensuring students with SEND and Personalised Learning Plans are not disadvantaged. T A support ? Key worker ? Research showing that this type of approach ' works ' .....

jlishman2158, Jamvic and phlogiston like this.
  3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

The in-tray exercise will be about your ability to prioritise - can you pick out the urgent / dangerous / safeguarding issues quickly from the chaff of other things?

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yeah, triage.

Urgent?
    Important?
    Urgent and important too?
    Etc etc.

Just do your best with regard to what@dts says. Good luck!

5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Excellent advice from @grumpydogwoman I would also suggest, What followup / communication, as in who needs to know what and when, be clear about timescales, not everything can be done at once. Also what do you do , what do you delegate and who to, Do you understand the structure and roles in this area of the school. How and when do you check on progress and implementation.
    If you do not know the structure of this department, then can you refer from your own experiences.
    Of course there is the danger of over complicating things, They also want to know if you can differentiate between what you do yourself and when do you need to refer to others.

jlishman2158 and phlogiston like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As a rule of thumb for in-tray exercises for any education job identify what is a safeguarding issue and give it priority.

Don't do what a candidate did for a SLT job I was selecting for once and prioritise everything the head had asked for however trivial it was!

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Consider also how you might juggle things. For example, a book of stand alone activities so when a new client comes in while you're dealing with a safeguarding issue, you can give them that while you sort the other stuff.
    Billy Wriggle will need book 749 of the series having visited a few times before.

HolyMahogany likes this.