1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In-tray exercise? For a regular teaching post!?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Feb 19, 2011.

1. I am an NQT and I have got an interview coming up soon, this will be my fifth. However the format of this one is totally different to all the ones I have been to before.
    It runs over 2 days, it says the 1st day will be an in-tray exercise, and if successful you will be asked to come back the next day for the usual stuff - lesson/interview/tour.
    Firstly, what is this in-tray exercise? I have never heard of it before but after a bit of googling it seems they are often used in SMT/DH interviews, but this is for a regular post!
    Secondly, we will not be given details of the interview lesson until after we have found out if we were successful following the in-tray exercise. I am rather concerned about this because it means I will have just one night to prepare something. I have normally had at least 5 days to prepare and as I don't have a working printer etc at home at the moment I am worrying that they expect about the expectation that we can plan and prepare a lesson on such short notice.
    Any advice? Thanks!

2. I am an NQT and I have got an interview coming up soon, this will be my fifth. However the format of this one is totally different to all the ones I have been to before.
    It runs over 2 days, it says the 1st day will be an in-tray exercise, and if successful you will be asked to come back the next day for the usual stuff - lesson/interview/tour.
    Firstly, what is this in-tray exercise? I have never heard of it before but after a bit of googling it seems they are often used in SMT/DH interviews, but this is for a regular post!
    Secondly, we will not be given details of the interview lesson until after we have found out if we were successful following the in-tray exercise. I am rather concerned about this because it means I will have just one night to prepare something. I have normally had at least 5 days to prepare and as I don't have a working printer etc at home at the moment I am worrying that they expect about the expectation that we can plan and prepare a lesson on such short notice.
    Any advice? Thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

previous people who've had an in-tray exercise have had to level a piece of writing/work. They suggested you took some assessment criteria with you to enable you to do this. Or it might be a letter to a parent, how to deal with data -the list could go on.
    Re te interview, can I suggest you hope you have a free choice & prepare some materials ahead ? If not a free choice try using some you've used before.
    Not much help but I think you need to stop panicking & start preaparing best/worst case scenarios. That way it will stop you worrying because you'll be too busy.
    Best of luck! Let us know how you got on!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wow!
    A two-day interview for a teaching post - I have never heard of that before. It is normally SLT posts that get that, because it is very expensive for the school. Sure you haven't applied to be haedteacher by mistake?!
    Is this an indy school? If so, make sure you read the Independent Forum Welcome thread, and browse their clickables.
    Look in the Welcome thread here on JobSeekers too, and read the Interview clickables. Lara's advice is helpful for you - her ideas there are pretty sound.
    And she is right to say calm down and feel more confident!
    Best wishes
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Haha well if it is a headteacher post then I have done extremely well to get an interview with no teaching experience or leadership experience [​IMG]
    Nope, this is not an indy school, just your bog standard public school which is why I am so confused as to why there is such a lengthy process!
    Thanks for the advice Lara however I just dont know how I can try and prepare in advance. I could be asked to teach any one of the three sciences to any one of five year groups so it is rather impossible to try and get ahead. If I manage to pass the first stage then hopfully I will have something related to the topic I am asked to teach. However as the national curriculum is so vast I have not had the chance to teach all of it and thus don't have any resources for many topics.
    Hopefully it will be a short lesson that I can manage to pull together in a few hours. However I have a problem with over-doing my lesson planning in an attempt to make it perfect which I will not have time to do!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First, remember one of the main objectives of an interview is to see how you interact with students, so what about preparing something on a topic you are enthusiastic about? So you're trying to 'enthuse ' the students about something you feel confident delivering.Then think how you'd differentiate. You may well have students between levels 3-8 in any yeargroup after all, so one differentiated lesson could then be delivered to any year group.
    Re: overplanning (long a failing of my own). remember there's rarely a perfect lesson. Over the years I've sometimes done a lesson which has gone so well, I've repeated it. Rarely has it had the same result. Students come with 'today's baggage' (problems at home, previous lesson etc.), students are different, class dynamics are different etc etc. So just do your best and then leave it! You'll probably never be really happy about any interview lesson planning.