1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In tray exercise example to follow on from other intray posting

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by peterbmason, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Thanks for sharing that. I'd heard people talk about in-tray exercises but its the first actual example I've seen. I'm not as worried now - it's just like a normal day! [​IMG]

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

God you can really tell this Head wrote NPQH stuff, it's very similar to Final Skills! I can't believe you had to do this for an SLT position, thought something along these lines would be for Headship!!! The role must be really changing.

Hope you get the next job! Good Luck!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a secondary head with experience of leading two large secondary schools, I have to say that this is easily the most unrealistic in-tray exercise I've ever seen. In headship I've never had a collection of incidents and issues land solely on me like this (and the 'which would you delegate' thing doesn't really apply to many of them, because they simply wouldn't have got to me in the first place).

However, my favourite was this:

Ha! Who says 'I' need to 'console' her? Anyway, how do we know she's actually being 'bullied', in any case? Has she been interviewed? By whom? What's their game, bunging it my way? Again, this just wouldn't have got to me as the head.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And why have the two staff review forms (what are they anyway?) been left until the last moment to do?

5. Middlemarch

Indeed, TG - what ARE these things?

If they're NQT forms due in to the LA, it's a case of putting your signature on them, really, as the reviewing is done by other staff.

If they're some other sort of review, 'due in' where, exactly?

This really is a rubbish in-tray exercise. The idea that as a head you sit there putting issues in 1-10 priority order is just silly.

6. TonyM19

TonyM19 New commenter

Fair enough. As I said earlier, some of us have this hoop to jump through. If you've never done one before how else can you get a feel for them? If anybody has a better one any chance they could share it?

7. Hi.... this seems an awful lot... is anyone willing to suggest an order... thanks Jane

8. I had a very similar exercise to this, and felt that it was ridiculous... I pointed out that most of those things would be delegated away to more appropriate staff. They told me that in their school that wasn't the way and I would be expected to deal with them all myself.

I'm glad i withdrew because there was no way I was doing an AHT, DHT, HOY and site managers job all at once.

9. I was at an interview and the in tray exercise had two parts, the second of which was a response to 25 (yes, 25!) different events. You had to respond to each of them, stating what you would do, what qustions you might ask etc and what priority you would give them. Tough! But it did give me a good idea of what the job might require.

10. Heck fire!

I have an Assistant Head interview next week and have been told there is an in tray exercise scheduled. I'm told they mainly want to see you understand stuff like Safeguarding, child protection, whistle blowing and H&S. Comforting to know there aren't 'right' answers.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Didau - if you go over to the JobSeekers Forum and open the Welcome thread, you will find some Interview clickables inside with tips and ideas for preparation.
    They are in different categories according to role.
    Best of luck!
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For more help see this:
    750+ SLT posts advertised this week
    Best wishes

13. I'm not a head but I was interested in what an "in-tray exercise" involved because I've heard so much about them. The vast majority of this stuff is nothing to do with a HT. I'd be tempted to deal with the teacher on pupil assault allegation first and then call a staff meeting to find out why no other *** was doing any work around the school!

14. Many thanks! I had never heard of this prior to my interview letter coming through. I feel more at ease now. :)
    Ang.

15. Middlemarch

So - if you accept that a candidate (unless internal to the school, which often happens, thereby giving them an unfair advantage) "won't know" the "school's own priorities", why set up an exercise in which you reckon that one of the points is to "see whether or not you can prioritise according to the school's own priorities"?

It seems to me you've told us that you set up an exercise within which one of the things you're looking for cannot be achieved by external candidates. Why would you do that?