1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In this world on non-smokers, what do you store things in?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My father rolled his own fags, keeping the tobacco and fag papers about his person in an Old Holborn tin. As a consequence, there was never a shortage of containers to keep odds and sods in.

One of the first colleagues I had, also rolled his own and kept a wealth of tool bits he's made over the years in his collection of tobacco tins, occasionally inviting me to take a look and see if I could find the tool bit I needed for a particular job among them, rather than attempt to reinvent the wheel by wasting time making one of my own.

Matchboxes too, were sometimes valuable items to keep things in. I wouldn't doubt it if someone told me that the majority of insects in the Natural History Museum's collection were once inhabitants of an entomologist's matchbox.

These days, since there are fewer smokers and tobacco is sold in plastic wallets, smokers use lighters rather than matches, what do such things gets stored in?

I suspect it's in those durable plastic containers that can be bought for the cost an arm and a leg and share in the destruction of the planet by their manufacture and subsequent disposal when no longer required.

Who wants to show me how the planet is a better place to inhabit without the by-products of smoking being recycled, as they were when I grew up?

colpee likes this.
  2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Can't answer your question - but just been sorting out Dad's stuff. He gave up smoking before I left home - so 30+ years ago. Loads of old tobacco tins for bits and bobs.

Also some rather nice cigar boxes - larger and useful for cards and odd photos.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Every couple of days I go out and pick up the 'by-products' of smoking from my front garden... for some reason smokers seem so keen to share their stubs, their plastic wraps, their tobacco bags with me.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Fishing lures and weights in old tobacco tins - a memory of home in Scotland and the old 'wash-house' a third of it full full of man 'stuff'.

A couple of yellow Golden Flake tins but mostly green Golden Virginia.

image.jpeg

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Just out of interest is that all of the detritus that ends up in your garden or even the majority?
    and secondly, I'm betting you live near a bus stop? :D

6. Didactylos4

What little "man stuff" I have now is stored in those rather nice ice cream tubs you get from the likes of Carte D'Or.
    They stack quite well

racroesus likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well yesterday was half a pizza, two fag packets, about five butts, a drinks can and an energy drink plastic bottle.

And no, not a bus stop... but there is a corner shop about 100 metres away so a fair few receipts, lottery scratchcards etc.

8. Didactylos4

Oh
    Only that much. I thought you had serious detritus problems from your previous post.
    With the wind and weather I've had far more than that recently :)

9. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I remember inheriting loads of the things from a previous teacher. They made brilliant containers for each child to have its own wax crayons and word tins to take home to learn. 30 years ago it didn't raise an eyebrow. Although I'm a lifetime non-smoker, as was my Dad, I miss them.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My dad used to keep types of screws and nails in them, so he could find what he wanted at a glance.

Word tins- yes!

@lanokia, I hope to pick up the detritus wearing stout gloves. You never know what might be there!

lanokia likes this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

My sister had a lovely house in Brixton but every morning the front garden was so full of sharps that she sold the house and moved away.

12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

@Duke of York

Those plastic 4pint bottles, are great for tweaking into storage containers (not so good for stack though)
    [​IMG]

And this is as close an image as to how to furnish yourself with ace containers for screws, nails and other man-ssentials. I couldn't take a photograph of the rows I have as the garage is chockful of 'stuff'
    [​IMG]

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@Duke of York: I know exactly what you mean. My Dad was a 'man with a shed', and he kept all his nails, screws, nuts and bolts, carburettor jets, and all the other bits and bobs from the various motorbikes and scooters he owned, in dozens of labelled tobacco tins; mostly Golden Virginia and Hearts of Oak. I 'inherited' most of these, and they now live at the back of our garage, along with all of my Dad's spare tins, which I cadged to keep my collection of 'bits and bobs' from the vehicles that I have had, over the years. Old tobacco tins are an excellent storage device, as they stack well.

14. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I always remember Old Pa Spirit using the lids from Golden Virginia tins to mix Aruldite(??) glue. It involved two tubes and a matchstick.

15. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Back in the Old Days, when we were happy:)those Golden Virginia tins were a boon for storing gold, silver and coloured stars, and also for keeping counters. Every classroom had a supply of them! At home, I use my Grandfather's old Gallagher tins for storing paperclips, pins, whatever. He died in 1972 and they serve as a constant memory whenever I open a desk drawer.:)

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

We inherited a workshop at my last house and there were all manner of nails and screws etc in old little tins. My ex smoked Old Holborn and the mention of the tin brought back memories.
    On Radio 4 this am.... apparently in 1954 80% of adults smoked, now it is 20%. Some reason to celebrate. (My father died from related vascular disease - a life long smoker and for most of it, untapped Senior Service cigarettes, and my ex died from lung cancer - rolled his own for so many years and again Old Holborn.)

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What you do now is collect old jam-jars or pickle jars or any other sort of glass jar that has a twist-on metal lid, and store screws, nails, bolts etc. in them.

Screw the metal lid to the underside of a shelf (preferably wood as it's easier) and twist the jar into position in the lid - then you just need to twist the jar off the lid when you want something inside it - and you can see what is in each jar without opening it.

18. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Those edges look very sharp.

Have they been assessed for elf and safety.......?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Why weren't the tobacco tins reused to hold tobacco from the tobacconist's big jars?
    Very useful on a boat as well.