1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the news - elective caesarean

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by naomi58, Nov 23, 2011.

1. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

What are your thoughts / experiences? Thanks x

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

It's yet another sign of our control freak, litigation obsessed society.
    Barking, just barking.

3. I think if a women is so terrified of giving birth then she should be offered professional counselling first to help overcome her fears, but if this fails then she should be allowed one. This is an emotive subject which is often sensationalized in the press, what they fail to take into account is that no woman CHOOSES major surgery over a vaginal birth just because they're 'too posh to push'! I had a traumatic experience with my first (natural) labour and do believe my first words afterwards were "if i ever have another child, you'll have to cut the baby out of me. I'm never going through that hell again". Of course now I'm pregnant again, and the memories/nightmares have faded, i want to try for a natural birth again. Oh and by the way, unless you've actually given birth naturally, you are NOT entitled to an opinion on this matter.

4. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

Some people (me!) have to have a Caesar because there is no other way, despite much preferring a natural birth. However, many natural births are far from natural anyway!

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I think the phrase "too posh to push" is really unfortunate. The whole culture of midwifery in this country is moving towards a US, medicalised model where control is in the hands of the "god-like" doctors rather than midwives.
    Why on earth not ????

6. My feeling on it is that there is an obsession with identifying the pitfalls of CS while the risks of natural birth are rarely mentioned. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages and it is up to individuals to decide with the support of HCPs which is best for them.

7. Why does it need to be emotive Mariposa other than for the individual woman involved?

8. Well, after 36 hours of labour followed by failed forceps delivery and a massive haemmhorrage due to forceps, I eventually had an emergency c-section, and actually, I feel I AM entitled to an opinion on this..!

I've decided if I ever have another one (not likely - the post-traumatic stress has done some damage) I will NOT go through that hell a second time around - saying that, I suppose I'd be offered an elective anyway, with my history.

The alternative is have some sort of cut-off point where I don't labour past a certain point. And I will be telling them to stick their shovel-sized forceps where the sun don't shine...

(btw, no paragraphs as using Chrome. Boo.)

9. I have seen the size of those forceps!!!! and I told the midwife where to shove them!!!
    Then I pushed her naturally (thank god!)
    Hospitals are obsessed with natural my friend had a MANUAL removal of her placenta!! MANUAL can you imagine the pain??? So I say if complications arises or labour is over 10-12 hours let the poor woman have a C-section!

10. I had a c-section. I feel I am perfectly entitled to have an opinion on this subject, I would really love for La Mariposa to explain to me why she feels I am not entitled to have an opinion just because I didn't have a natural birth? It doesn't make sense to me.
    My personal opinion is that it is up to the woman. Everyone's experiences are different, and any type of birth is traumatic to some extent both physically and emotionally. I just think people should be allowed to make informed choices. But in saying that, you are never really prepared for what happens, when it happens, no matter how much information you have beforehand.
    And for me, c-section was the best choice. For medical reasons and also when I saw the size of my baby I realised there was no way he would have squeezed himself out of there!

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I am lucky enough to have had 2 'normal' births with no complications, quick labours and didn't even need stitches, so obviously I wouldn't choose a c-sec if i were to have another baby, unless it were breech, or massive!
    However, i know women who have had traumatic births resulting in emergency c-secs and I can totally understand why they would go with elective. Chances are if they went for a VBAC they would be fine physically, but i can imagine mentally it would be hard as they'd be so stressed and imagining the worst.
    I do think that if it's your 1st baby and you've got no medical concerns then a vaginal birth is better. As someone else said, if you have real fears about giving birth (and who isn't scared of it??) then you could have counselling.
    I doubt women would choose a c-sec if it could be avoided as it's major surgery.

12. There are real risks to a natural/vaginal birth that 'counselling' do not get rid of and they are seemingly completely overlooked. Someone my mum knows has a son with Cerebal Palsy that was caused by him being deprived of oxygen at birth. If she had had CS he would probably be a healthy 34 year old. Not to mention the serious gyneacological injuries that can result, you can bleed to death. In addition, I know several people who were induced with a first and ended up either being in labour for 48 hours or with a CS in the end anyway. Not to mention the number of people who have had traumatic experiences. Of course a CS is hardly a walk in the park eithet, but its downsides are regularly pointed out. I dont think that it is possible to conclude that natural birth is 'better' for anyone who isnt you in any circumstances. That is why in my opinion women should be given the facts about both to enable an informed decision. This does not happen at present presumably because when actually presented with the facts they think too many people would choose CS. Plus it is considered wrong to 'frighten' women wrt natural birth (although no-one seems bothered about scaring those having a CS.) Its interesting that someone talks about birth becoming 'doctor led' rather than 'midwife led' it should be neither, it should be the woman who is central. FWIW I'm nearly 34 weeks with my 2nd and intend to have a homebirth if possible. The thing that frightens ME more than anything else is the idea of having an epidural!!!!! Anyone having a CS is therefore brave in my opinion.

13. I do apologise for this error - i meant to write unless you have given birth full stop. (Not naturally). I wrote my post last night in a rage because of a (male) acquaintance getting on his moral high horse about this subject and saying that women who CHOSE an c-section shouldn't get pregnant in the first place!!!!! Can you imagine my horror.

14. Couldn't agree more. The issue in the papers this week is not about women having a CS for medical issues (that is indisputable even for the Daily Mail), but about women choosing one due to fear of giving birth naturally. The headline is 'Pregnant women who ask for a Caesarean delivery should be allowed to have the operation, even if there is no medical need, according to new guidelines for England and Wales.' The BBC website gives a fairly balanced view of the issue - worth a read.

15. The reports are irritating- firstly, the guidelines are suggestions made to the health trusts- they do not have to follow them.

Secondly, It will not be a case of simply ticking a box. Someone who is genuinely terrified of giving birth naturally will initially make that decision, then given the facts- the risks of both choices, the potential effects on future pregnancy, implications for breastfeeding. If they go through all of this and still feel a section is the way forward, so be it. I do believe that women need to be prepared for birth and actually feel a greater amount of research into the process will be beneficial. I don't believe the rate of elective section will actually go up by very much.

A real phobia of giving birth can be incerdibly debilitating- it has led to some women going to the extreme measure of being sterilized, it can make pregnancy extremely stressful- panic attacks, etc. So the decision to go for a section is not one to be taken lightly.

I had a difficult birth which finished with an emergency section and I can 100% understand why somebody would want an elective. I can not imagine going through the stress of 9 months of wondering, attempting and 'failing' at natural labour. A c-section is not a cop out- being cut open on the operating table while you are wide awake is utterly terrifying. It does have longer recovery period (sometimes!) and is not the easy way out.

16. i was terrified of giving birth - i literally lay awake at night crying because i was so scared of the whole process. i had severe SPD and had been on crutches since 15 weeks, ended up in a wheelchair, couldn't lie on my back, couldn't open my legs, couldn't stand and i had no idea how i would cope with a natural birth. it didn't help that i'd been brought up on my mother's horror stories of her pregnancies and how she nearly died during 2 births (once when natural labour went wrong, once when an ELCS went wrong). i thought i'd die during labour and i even wrote my will. i was never offered counselling by the NHS for this.
    i'm glad i didn't have a CS in the end - i had a fairly long labour (18 hours) which was horrendously painful with my pelvic and lower back problems but i did recover more quickly from it than i would have done a CS - and i didn't die, much to my amazement!
    my fear ruined months of my pregnancy and maybe counselling would have helped. speaking as someone who was devastated not to be offered a CS due to severe physical disability and sheer terror, i'm not sure now - with the benefit of hindsight and experience - if offering women who are frightened of giving birth a CS is a good idea. it certainly wouldn't have been in my case.
    i did, however, flatly refuse an induction and any type of intervention, including forceps, as having read about the risks associated with these proceedures i decided they weren't for me. there is no way i personally would agree to being induced over having a CS.

17. I have read a lot of messages here during my pregnancy and since my little girl was born although I've never posted. I feel like I need to post to get this off my chest - I feel that midwives are too concerned with a vaginal birth and are not quick enough to intervene and when they do intervene with methods other than a CS there are often consequences.

I had a massive bleed after my little girl was born which was incredibly traumatic - I think that if there is a next time I would want to research my options very carefully, including CS. I have heard some horror stories recently of women having hysterectomies, women having to have colostomy bags, women with tears so bad they are doubly incontinent, all after vaginal births. To be honest, I have NEVER met anyone who has had a 'normal' birth. Recently, I seem to hear a lot about complications due to midwives wanting to deliver the baby naturally. In my case, the consultant in the room wanted to intervene to deliver my baby but the midwives pushed for me to deliver without intervention. Who knows what difference this made to my health.

I really don't think that anyone can comment on other people's personal choices. Having had a traumatic experience I can completely understand why someone would choose a CS where you are never left alone, where you have consultants on hand and where the birth is managed and planned. Sounds good to me!