1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the light of the renewed interest in increasing selection in state education should we...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by needabreak, Aug 14, 2016.

?

... revisit the Bowles and Gintis study and the implications of the alleged "hidden curriculum" ?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Just a thought since there has to be a bigger agenda which a) saves money and/or b) maintains the status quo, or am I just an old school sceptic? *Perhaps don't answer that last one since it matters not what I am... or does it? ... If I am indeed the product of an albeit dated UK education system along with many other educationalists and decision makers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    emerald52 likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe you'll get more responses from posters if you give a short précis of what Bowles & Gintis say, or at least a link to such a précis?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. needabreak

Oh I thought that educationalists discussing reinventing a past educational structure would be fully conversant with he critiques thereof which contributed to its original demise... then there is google.

4. needabreak

Clearly it is no coincidence that Ms May among many support the proliferance of the status quo given her background, particularly in terms of law enforcement.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well thank you for that. I did watch it. I have now voted 'No'.

Have to say that, like most US inspired ideas I find it heavy on theory and lacking in much/any value for the practising teacher. What sort of classroom was my classroom? Increasingly as my career went on that was dictated by outside forces - OfSTED, Exam Boards, the Government of the day etc. One reason I quite probably wouldn't become a teacher (at least in the maintained sector) if I were starting out again.

As I say every day - thank goodness I've retired!

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I did some work on the hidden curriculum a generation ago. Nobody seemed very concerned about it during my three and a half decades working. I didn't read Bodies and Giant is at the time.
    Unfortunately, I can't paste links.
    I believe they considered schools to be reinforcing social hierarchy rather than developing young citizens.

emerald52 and needabreak like this.
  7. needabreak

You aren't wrong they also believed as I do that the educational structures reflect the needs of industry in the state sector, while rewarding conformity over intelligence and achievement thereby reinforcing the social status quo.

8. needabreak

You are also correct in that it isn't necessarily aimed at the serving teacher to improve their performance, but to put forward an idea of how and perhaps why the measures of performance are created and reinforced.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I apologise for my poor proof reading of my tablets predictive text. I did not mean to rename Bowles and Gintis Bodies and Giant. Slaps own head in despair.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

i think it's worth looking at all the reasons the grammar/secmod system was scrapped.

needabreak likes this.
  11. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

And the context of the times in which they were scrapped. And whether the decision effected the changes that were intended.

ViolaClef and emerald52 like this.