1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the last week

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by mrjack, Jun 16, 2011.

1. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

HI all,
    In the last week I have been shoved three times hard in the chest by a pupil. Taken a group out on a minibus who were out of their seats and trying to distract me, pull the handbreak up as i was driving, tapping me on the shoulder and shouting in my face. Had two pupils start kicking footballs at me full force from a couple of meters away, both of which just skimmed my face ( could feel the draft on my hair) had a ball thrown at me and then had a bottle of water poured on me.
    I work in EBD but should anyone have to put up with this level of abuse?
    By the way not one sanction, talking to or punishment has resulted from these assaults.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

No. And half of what you describe is assault. People (not just kids, but all people) who act like this don't deserve to be taken places by others; EBD isn't an illness; it's a description of their behaviour. If we treat people like this as though they aren't in control of themselves then we deny them the descriptor of 'human'; we reduce and de-construct their behaviour to nothing greater than that of automaton. We deny them the dignity of being treated- for good or ill- as people, if we excuse or permit such behaviour due to their extreme spectrum personalities.
    If nothing has resulted from these behaviours, then I question what the point of an EBD institution is- a holding pen? An alternative to being on the street? Whatever it is, it isn't for their benefit anymore. And you are being made into a punching bag by the process. Good EBD schools, while acknowledging that a range of unconventional, non mainstream strategies might be the best tactic to encourage and engage, also need to have boundaries and direction for the children. These are usually the children who need it most. And you deserve better.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

HI Tom,
    I concur, infact a holing pen is all it feels like! I am now signed off until the end of term! *** to them.
    Another example of the lunacy that goes on in my workplace. Pupil kicks off because he is told that on a day trip out of school he will not have time to go shopping. So he goes mental in the office and reception aera because he has brought £100 with him to spend. What does our school do? instead of telling him that he can spend it after school or on the weekend, we give him his own personal shopping trip into town with an LSA. That is what I'm up against, the state of education in this country and the ethos of dealing with behaviour issues is mindbogling and fully explains why things are in such a mess.

4. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

I'm surprised there are no further comments on this.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

I'm going to punch a copper, wee myself and see if anyone gives me any HMV vouchers and a trip to see Shrek: The Musical.
    Cheers, Adelady. Incidentally, can you expand on what you mean by 'the well known techniques'? I feel like my repertoire could do with some expanding, and I'm always interested in how experienced teachers handle situations.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/