1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

In the Guardian today...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JessicaRabbit1, Feb 1, 2016.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/feb/01/schools-teachers-classroom-crisis-stress-grind

A lot of interesting posts. One teacher has, in response to being asked about the paperwork, given a breakdown of just the planning expectations associated with the job - let alone the marking, parents' evenings, reports etc. It just hit home to me how ridiculous it all is, and judging by the reactions in the comments section, it is starting to register with the public as well.

2. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Yes, yet again I've reminded readers that schools only want young, cheap, subservient underlings, who are prepared to get sand kicked in their face.

The thing is that society really doesn't want to be told about all those capable and experienced teachers out there that schools seem absolutely determined to ignore.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Where is the teacher breakdown of work? I can sea report of schools difficulty in recruit and retention....and references to a persons experience...but not the item you suggest.
    As an article its good but just can not see the bit you stating Jessica.

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I read this on the other thread on WD.
    It is a good read (if ''good'' is the right word.

The level of teacher retention is shocking if the figures are true.

''The number of teachers working without a formal teaching qualification – which, let’s not forget, is allowed in academies and free schools – was just over 20,000, up from 16,600. The government’s own research shows that in the 12 months to November 2014, the state sector lost nearly 50,000 teachers – representing the highest rate of exit for 10 years and an increase of more than 25% over five years. More sobering still, 100,000 qualified teachers have opted never to work in a classroom at all.''

5. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

It was in the comments underneath. A teacher has described the planning expectations for his school which were excessively, ridiculously detailed (and which matched my own experiences at my last school) and then when other readers commented on how they had no idea that this was what teachers were expected to produce, he then mentioned the marking, assessment, record keeping, box ticking, report writing, parent's evenings, parents full stop that goes with the job.

Maybe I'm horribly naive but I just think if people had any idea what teaching these days actually involves then things might improve. I know I've tried to explain it to my non-teacher friends who have been sympathetic but who still don't understand.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

This article tells us things we already know. Unfortunately no one with the power to change things cares.

What happened with Nicky Morgans workload initiative? I think we know. What does she do?

7. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

That's it in a nut shell.

Many years ago wasn't there a campaign against drugs that said Just say no? If enough teachers had the guts to do this, in respect to accepting ridiculous workloads, SLT bullying, and appalling student (and parent) behaviour, then things would change. Unfortunately most just keep their head below the parapet, shaking with fear, and praying that they won't attract any attention. The bravest things most do is make an anonymous post in a TES forum.

8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I tell people about all the extra "stuff" that being a full-time, permanent KS2 primary teacher involved, I can tell that they think that I am grossly exaggerating, or even lying.